Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Should I stay or--No! Of course, I'll go!

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” ― Augustine of Hippo

We're almost completely packed for our camping/cruising trip. The camper is all packed up. Our Alaska cruise clothes are stuffed in one large suitcase a piece. I'd hoped we could make do with just one suitcase for the DH & me together, but I discovered my large suitcase isn't as large as I thought. At least not when I need to pack warmer clothes to layer with.

This picture of me glacier watching on our last cruise to Alaska in 2007 is my cautionary tale. It was wicked cold, so rather than wrap myself in a beach towel, I'll be ready this time.

I'm excited about this trip, but I'm also suffering from a niggling conscience. It seems unfair. We get to take this wonderful trip, camping through the mountains we love and miss, visiting family and friends along the way, and then spend an idyllic week on board the Holland America Eurodam, seeing some of the most spectacular scenery and wildlife on the planet. And at the same time, folks in Texas (my baby sister & her fam included) are still trying to put their lives back together after Hurricane Harvey. And in Florida, everyone is battening down the hatches in preparation for Irma's arrival this weekend.

Since we had our own bout with flooding this spring, my heart goes out to them. Too much water is a terrible problem. (Yes, that is one of our neighbor's sheds floating away across what used to be the street.)

Then there are the other things going on in our personal life. #2 Daughter is out of work right now. It's so hard to watch her struggle with applying someplace every day and keeping her attitude positive.

And one of our rental units (which we rely on for most of our income right now) is vacant. I'd so hoped it would be filled before we leave for Seattle, but unless there's a minor miracle, it won't be. #2 Daughter will show it for us while we're gone, take applications, and can finalize a lease, so hopefully, someone will want to call it home soon.

There are always reasons not to leave home. It's a safe place, or at least it seems that way. barring an ICBM from North Korea. But the reason I adore travel is still tugging at me.

I long to have another adventure...to see something new... to feel inspired by a different place and the people I meet there. Even when I was a teenager, I liked myself better when I was traveling. Being out of my comfort zone makes me think about things in new ways.

So come Friday morning, we'll be on the road. Hope you'll come along with us. I promise to share plenty of pictures!

~~~
Want my posts to come to your inbox? Just sign up to Follow by Email in the form in the right hand column!   

~~~~~

Sept. 7th update: A minor miracle has occurred! A lovely family is signing a lease for our vacant rental in about half an hour. Thank you, God. 

Now, Lord, about #2 Daughter's employment situation...

4 comments:

  1. Hallelujah! Miracles are a good thing. All these disasters underscore the fleeting nature of life. One needs to grasp the moment and make the most of it ... carpe diem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And along with seizing the day, I'll seize some hope. I'm pleased to report another minor miracle. We heard from #2 Daughter today and she found a job! She's hoping to stop midweek. Thank you, God!

      Delete
  2. Love your updates! Thank you, God! Now, go...Enjoy your cruise!!!

    Kristy :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment and let's chat!