Wednesday, November 8, 2017

A Travel Wardrobe that Works!

I never travel without my diary. 
One should always have something sensational to read on the train.
~ Oscar Wilde

94 days...That's how long we'll be on board the Pacific Princess.

How do I pack for that? 

Of course, like Oscar, I'll bring my laptop so I can add to this blog (my diary) as we go along, but I've been struggling with how to pack a functional travel wardrobe. It's tempting to just stuff as much of my closet as I can into my two suitcases (yep, just two because we're flying from the Midwest to LA to board the ship next January.) But besides our clothing, we need to pack other essentials--electronics, a traveling OTC medicine chest, some storage items, shoes, etc. Those two checked bags are going to fill up fast.

So I need to be intentional about my clothing allotment.


Enter the concept of the capsule wardrobe!

According to my Google search on the subject, apparently some pack-saavy travelers can spend two weeks in Paris with only what they can fit into a carry-on and never wear the same outfit twice. I'm a bit skeptical, but I decide to try build a little 9 item capsule for myself. 

Here it is: black pants, white capris, black lacy camisole/tank, black/print tank, black sweater, white sweater, copper maxi dress, black/white scarf, black sandals (not pictured.)



If I mix and match these pieces, how many outfits can I make?

1.Black pants, black/print tank, black sweater
2.Copper dress, scarf
3. White capris, black tank, white sweater

Okay, those are the easy ones. Let's get creative.

4. Black pants, black tank, black sweater 
5. Black pants, black tank, white sweater
6. White capris, black/print tank, white sweater 
7. White capris, black tank, black sweater
8. Copper dress by itself
9. Copper dress with black sweater
10. Copper dress with white sweater

If I'm not self conscious about baring my arms, I can add 4 more possible combinations.

11. Black pants, black print tank
12. Black pants, black tank
13. White capris, black print tank
14. White capris, black tank

A capsule purist would add more iterations by moving the scarf around with the solid tank (with and without the sweaters) for a bunch more combinations. It would take my math major husband to figure out how many because frankly, I'm already tired of these 9 pieces of clothing, no matter how I team them up. 

In the end, I'll probably fall back on trying to cram most of my closet into the suitcases, but I've learned enough to promise myself that NOTHING will make the trip unless it contributes to at least three different outfits.

We'll be using the self-launderette on board, as well as sending our whites out to the ship laundry, but it's still going to be a trick getting everything I want to bring packed. When the time draws closer, I'll do a "practice pack" and make a master list of everything I manage to fit in. 

What do you think? Have you ever used the capsule wardrobe concept? Did it work for you?

Want my posts to come to your inbox? Sign up to Follow by Email in the little form under my pic in the right hand column. Just type in your email address. You may have prove you're not a robot and then confirm your subscription when you get an email asking if you really meant to sign up, but after that, you'll never miss a moment of our adventures!


14 comments:

  1. I could never do a capsule wardrobe for a world cruise - I would be sick of everything before the end of the first month! I do mostly mix and match even for evening clothes. I have also gone to almost all solid tops. I have found that solids will go with more pants than patterns. The handful of print tops I’m taking go with at least three pants.

    I am trying to stick to my own advice about taking less but not sure I will succeed!😮

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do some mix and match for formal nights too. I have a long black dress, a long purple dress, black palazzos and gray sparkly palazzos that I mix and match with several sparkly jackets or colorful pashminas.

      Delete
  2. Ok, I am a guy so the rules are very different. I would not think of your trip as 94 days. I have taken some long trips (not as long as yours) over 5 weeks. What I do is pack for two weeks. This is a good amount of cloths to mix and match up and two weeks is a good amount of time before I got to look at doing laundry. I also figure after two weeks nobody will remember what I wore two weeks ago. Another trick is not to wear anything flashy or exotic. That will be remembered (and maybe talked about) for 94+ days.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the suggestion, John. It will make planning easier if I think of the trip as a series of two week adventures. One other thing I need to keep in mind is that some of our travels will be in tropical climes while the Med in spring can be a bit chilly. So if I think about a warm 2 week wardrobe and a cool 2 week wardrobe, that might help me cover all the bases too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think John gave some excellent advice and this is coming from a woman - HA. I also like your 2 week idea due to the different climates you will be in. I suppose that after three months you would get sick of wearing the same thing. However, I am one of those people that can travel for two weeks with a carry on bag. What works best for me are two neutral colors for my basics like you styled above black/white and 1-3 colors that can coordinate and mix and match with shoes and accessories. The fact that you can do laundry helps a great deal. Also, I suspect you will not need to worry about too many passengers also being on a 94 day cruise preventing the dreaded, "I have seen her wear that same outfit 20 times!"

    Your around the world cruise is on my bucket list for when I retire and I am really looking forward to your posts while sailing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly the only time I noticed what someone else was wearing was a pair of sisters on a two week cruise. They had gone shopping before boarding and had 14 IDENTICAL outfits!

      About bucket lists--a world cruise has been on mine for ages, but I really never thought we could actually do it. I guess if you want something badly enough, you find a way to make it happen.

      Till then, hope you enjoy armchair traveling with us!

      Delete
    2. That's hysterical about the sisters. I think the below suggestion of purchasing things at the thrift shop and donating them at one of your ports or throwing them out. I too am sure that I will never actually be able to afford it, but it is on the list and if there is a way I will find the will!

      There are a few other blogs out there written by round the world cruisers. Some good information in them if you are interested. When I suggested donating the gently used thrift clothing it was because the blogs discussed how some of the ports have quite the impoverished populations.

      I will very much enjoy armchair traveling with you.

      Delete
    3. I've been a world cruise blog binge reader for a while now. It really helped fuel the dream.

      The idea of donating is always a good one. We're so aware of our blessings, we try to give back. That's why I'm not a haggler when it comes to shopping in foreign ports, even though I know it's expected.

      About thrift shopping...I did it once early in our marriage when we were living quite a bit below the poverty line ourselves. But it made my DH feel so low, I had to promise not to shop for myself there again. On the plus side, I'm very good with a needle & thread and know how to make a garment last.

      Delete
  5. I love your count down clock...62 days!!! Can't believe it!! It will go quickly and before you know it, we will be on board! :) I like your capsule group of clothes. I took a lot on our 28 day cruise. 14 tops for both day and dinner, with about 5 pairs of pants for both. We are lucky and drive to the port so I don't have to worry about weight. My aunt took a lot less, and was 'sick' of her cruise clothes after the 28 days. Someone on our roll call mentioned that she buys some 'new' clothes at a local thrift shop and as she tires of them, throws them away and buys new ones as 'souvenirs'....I may have to try that! :) I read your shoe blog, too. I took too many on our cruise. I had trouble with my hip and ended up not wearing some of them as they didn't give me enough support. I may need to try the brand you mentioned, haven't tried them yet.

    See you SOON!
    Kristy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally recommend Rockports, but one of my sisters can't wear them at all. Different strokes, as they say.

      Since I'm not by nature a shopper, I'd hate to depend on being able to find anything I care to wear while we travel.

      The countdown clock both excites and terrifies me. The trip is rushing toward us and I still have a lot to do before we go. I expect I'll breathe easier once I type THE END on the current novel I'm working on.

      Oh! About seeing you soon. We received notice from Princess that our flights into LAX have been changed and now instead of arriving around 1 pm, we won't get in till 6:50 pm. We'd hoped to meet you and some of the rest of the Cruise Critic gang who are staying at the same hotel for supper. I'm guessing we'll be too late now. (Disappointed sigh!)

      Delete
  6. If you're not too tired, we could always meet for drinks...or dessert! ;)
    Kristy :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the way you're planning your trip.
    M

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Mom. (In case you're all wondering, I'm trying to train my mother to leave messages in the comment section so we can stay in touch while I'm away.)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment and let's chat!