Monday, January 15, 2018

Sad News

“Strange... how you can be living your dreams and your nightmares at the very same time.” 
― Ransom Riggs

My DH is the youngest of eight--five boys and three girls. He comes from a big, loving family with more aunts and uncles and cousins and nieces and nephews than I could ever keep up with. I have always counted myself blessed to have married into this bunch. Yesterday we received a call from the DH's next youngest sister at 6:00 in the morning. She knows we're early birds, but when the phone rings at that hour, you know it's not good.

The DH's brother Lynn died. 

Lynn on the links

He and his wife had been vacationing in Florida and from the looks of their FB photos, they'd been having a wonderful time. They're avid golfers, very active. But on Sunday morning, the day they were to return to Iowa, Lynn collapsed shortly after rising, an apparent heart attack.


Everyone is in shock, and not just in our massive extended family. Lynn was a much-loved Lutheran pastor who had only retired last summer. Blessed with the same resonant baritone as my DH, Lynn often sang the liturgy, which made for a very special worship experience. He baptized, married, and buried countless parishioners and touched countless lives.  


He certainly touched mine. 


Lynn helped officiate at our wedding. Before the ceremony which was scheduled for 1:00 PM, my grandpa chose that time to decide that I shouldn't skip lunch and went in search of a hamburger joint. The lace on the sleeve of my wedding gown got torn somehow and Lynn's sweet wife, who always carried a needle and spool of white thread to weddings, calmly stepped into the fray to stitch it back up. By the time Grandpa got back with the burgers, I was in my gown and couldn't risk a ketchup stain but also didn't want to hurt his feelings. There were so many details swirling around me I was a little freaked out.


At that point, Lynn took me aside and told me no matter what happens, everything will be fine. In less than half an hour, we'd be married and that was the only important thing.


Lynn was good at identifying the important things. Love of God. Love of family. Emphasis always on Love. 


We are waiting to hear what the arrangements are going to be, and whether we will be able to join the family in mourning in northeastern Iowa before we have to be in St. Louis for our flight to LA on Sunday. We've mapped out the 500+ mile trip from our town to Lynn's. I've accelerated our last minute schedule of things to get done this week. We'd originally planned to spend a couple of days with #1 Daughter, but now I'm wondering if we'll see her longer than it takes to give her the keys to the vehicle we intend to leave with her. Details are starting to swirl around me again.   


And I can almost hear Lynn saying everything will be fine. Maybe not now. Or next week. Or even next year, but it will be fine eventually. And the important thing is we will see Lynn again when we meet at the feet of the One whose name is Love. 

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Regency Girl. Lynn will be sorely missed.

      Delete
  2. Lexi...I was so sorry to read this post. My sympathy to you and your husband's family. The next few days will be a blur, I'm sure, but from what you've written about Lynn he sounds like the kind of guy that would want you to follow through with your plans. Prayers for safe & smooth travels over the next few days and may all of your special memories of Lynn be a comfort to you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary. This week is a blur already. Now it's on fast forward. It looks like we will be able to join the family in northern Iowa. I'd appreciate your prayers for safe travel and fair weather for all the family as we gather soon.

      Delete
  3. So sorry to hear about your loss. Our thoughts are with you and the family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Erin. You and Mui have been in my thoughts too. Hope he's continuing to do well.

      Delete
  4. Thank God that the pain of loss is tempered with the hope of the Gospel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear your news, my condolences on your loss. I hope that knowing his last days were happy ones helps to bring some comfort, but know that the knowledge of his faith and where he now resides, will bring the most comfort. Hugs to you both.

    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kristy. Lynn did love to golf and his last days did seem very happy. But, barring the separation from his loved ones left behind, I know he's happier now.

      Delete
  6. Dear Mia,
    I am so sorry for your loss.
    Those we have loved or lost have not gone away,
    They continue to watch over us everyday,
    They are unheard and unseen,
    But they are always near,
    Walking beside us and always very dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that lovely thought, Sunoe. I appreciate your kind words.

      (For those of you who normally see me posting as Lexi, Mia is my other pen name. One author, two names)

      Delete
  7. We are so very sorry for your loss. You will see him again one day in Heaven ! Love you both so much

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment and let's chat!