Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Through a Child's Eyes

Since we booked this cruise last May, I've been a frequent flyer on the Cruise Critic Roll Call for this voyage. It's been great "meeting" a number of people who'll be sharing this experience with us. Kinda feels like we'll already have some friends even before we board the Pacific Princess. 

Today a new couple posted on the roll call. They are bringing their grandkids, aged 8 & 9, on the cruise because they homeschool them! What a wonderful, rich experience for all concerned.

This was exciting news to me because we homeschooled our girls for about five years. At the time, the DH worked for an airline and, boy, did we make use of those flight benefits. We took field trips to London, Washington, DC, and to museums and aquariums all over the US. Sometimes, the girls and I just tagged along if the DH had business in an interesting city. 

#2 Daughter's Favorite Renoir
One time after we'd spent the day at the National Gallery of Art, we'd returned to the office where he was in meetings. The girls, aged 8 & 6 at the time, were snuggled up in the same chair, poring over the book of the Impressionist collection I'd bought at the museum gift store. 

#1 Daughter said to #2, "Oh look! That's an example of pointillism!" 

To which, #2 Daughter replied, "I like Renoir better."

The receptionist stared at them in wonderment. "Where do they go to school?," she asked.

If I'd been wearing buttons, I'd have busted them all that day. Travel is an education all its own and I was thrilled to be able to provide some wonderful experiences for our kids. 

Some people don't like having children around, but I'm not one of them. I'll enjoy seeing some youngsters on the Pacific Princess. The world is an even more amazing place when you're in the company of a child. 


~~~
Want to join us on our voyage of discovery? Be sure to sign up to Follow by Email in the  form in the upper right column of this page. New posts will come straight to your inbox! 

7 comments:

  1. We had a darling Brazilian family on our RTW with their two kids ... in the 5-7 year range. They were adorable and well behaved. Their interaction with the adults was so much more mature than most kids their age. The best thing ... their parents spent time with them all the time instead of leaving them to their own devices. It was nice to see them as a family-unit wherever they went ... whatever they did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were a couple of kids on our 30 day South Pacific cruise in 2016 too. They were delightful.




      Whenever kids misbehave in public, I always fault the adults. Because we flew non-revenue with our flight benefits when the girls were young, they always knew we could be pulled off for no reason if a paying passenger needed our seats. But if our kids misbehaved in the slightest, we'd definitely be deplaned. Needless to say, their halos were always firmly afixed to their little heads whenever we traveled.

      The couple who's bringing their grandkids on our RTW prefer the Pacific Princess even though it offers no childrens' programs (read: onboard babysitting). They seem to prefer not to shuffle the kids' care off to others. That bodes well, IMO.

      Delete
  2. Oh!! This makes me happy! I really enjoy having kids around. :) One of my biggest fears is missing my grandkids!! All my teaching buddies went back to school this week. While I'm much more relaxed than when I taught, I still miss the excitement of the new start and all the fun activities I did with the kids, and the joy of seeing that light bulb go off when they 'got it'....I can't wait to meet all our new friends, kids included!
    Kristy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Kristy! We're going to see some wonderful places on this trip, but the cherry on top is the group of people we befriend on the Pacific Princess!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment and let's chat!