Saturday, January 13, 2018

Unfinished Business

Life... is not simply a series of exciting new ventures. The future is not always a whole new ball game. There tends to be unfinished business.~ Anita Brookner

Since last May, we've been trying to get all our ducks in a row so we can leave our land life behind for three months with a minimum of stress. We've jumped through the passport and visa hoops. We updated our vaccinations. We picked out excursions and arranged for pre-cruise hotel and travel to the port. We paid for it all ahead of time. We arranged to settle our household bills online and by direct debit in our absence. 

We dreamed. We planned. We packed.

I so wanted to leave all our worries on the pier. Unfortunately, despite our best efforts, we can't dot all the i's and cross all the t's before we leave. 

Most of our retirement income comes from our rental units. We are proud of our duplexes and believe that offering clean, safe homes for a fair price is a win-win for us and our tenants. When we first decided to venture into landlording,  we promised ourselves we'd never rent a unit we wouldn't live in. So we update when a unit becomes vacant. We maintain them well. If there's a problem, it's addressed right away. It usually works out for all involved. We appreciate our tenants and most of them return the favor.

Damage removed--Ready to be rebuilt now
But last fall, we had to initiate an eviction--a process which takes much longer and costs more than we expected. Finally at the end of December, we regained possession of the unit. We expect wear and tear, but not willful destruction. All the flooring needs to be replaced, in some places past the sub floor to the bare joists. The drywall looks as if someone used the walls as a punching bag. There are bashed in holes everywhere. All the doors, interior and exterior, have been kicked in and the frames destroyed. When they smashed the exterior doors, water leaked in and started rot and mold in the subfloor. Kitchen cabinets and appliances were similarly bashed. Clearly, there was a lot of violence in the unit.  

Repair estimates to make the place habitable again have topped more than we'll collect in almost two years of rent--on both sides of the duplex. And to make matters worse, our trusted contractor (the same fellow who remodeled our own home) can't get it done until March 1st. We would love to have a new tenant lined up for then, but right now, it's a bare shell. It's hard for folks to imagine how nice it will be once the unit has all new high quality laminate floors, fresh paint, a new kitchen and new appliances. It will likely remain empty until we return.

So, I'm fretting. 

Part of me wonders if we were wrong to have booked this cruise--an unnecessary, some would say frivolous and self-indulgent, expense. (Though to be honest, this entire trip--cruise fare, tips, excursions, pre- and post- travel & hotels, insurance, vaccinations, visas, etc.--costs less than the tricked out diesel pick-up my DH had been eyeing with lust in his heart.) Still, if we weren't going on this cruise, I wouldn't be as worried about the expense of rehabbing our rental. 

Maybe this isn't the right time to be going all the way around the world.
  
But then my DH reminds me that things could be ever so much worse. We could be facing a health crisis, or something with our kids or my parents. A problem that can be fixed with money is relatively small in the long view of things. 

And, as far as the timing of this journey goes, there will always be something trying to tug us back to shore. There is no right time. There's only now.  

So a week from Monday when we board the Pacific Princess, I resolve to leave my unfinished business on the pier. One way or another, it'll all shake out eventually. With respect to worries, I want to travel light.

10 comments:

  1. That is horrible!! I have heard horror stories from friends about renters. One went through the eviction process, then had to pay to store the tenants belongings in a storage unit because they would not come and get them! I am so sorry this happened. We are currently talking to our third option for house sitters as the first two had to bow out in the last two weeks....

    There are times I fret about being gone so long, things that need to be done here, leaving family behind, but then I think 'bigger'. We both have had family members pass away too young, we have had family members that had unexpected medical problems that restricted their travel for the rest of their lives, David had "CUP", carcinoma unknown primary, which means he had cancer but we don't know what kind. We are both healthy now, so....here we go! This has been on David's bucket list for many years now, so we are not waiting.I still can't believe we get to do this! The house will still need to be fixed when we get back, the grandkids will be a little older (The granddaughter wants a stuffed koala from Australia ;)), but we are going now while we can. I tease our kids and tell them we may be eating Mac and cheese for a while, but oh well. They can have us over for dinner! I don't think there is ever a perfect time, we just need to grab our chance, and go for it!! I expect my suitcases to be heavy, but like you, I hope my heart will be light.

    See you soon!
    Kristy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the wonderful things about this trip is the friends we'll be making. I feel like I already know you and Dave and can't wait to make it official! I too am a cancer survivor. Think maybe we'll have to form a "GO FOR IT" club for those of us who are grabbing the brass ring while we can!

      So sorry you're having trouble finding a house sitter. We are blessed in that department. #2 Daughter will be taking care of things here at our house and is the designated "dog-nanny" for our dogs, Mack and Charlie. #1 Daughter will take us from her place in Columbia to St. Louis where we catch our flight. She'll also pick us up on our return, and keep our vehicle humming in the meantime. The DH says it's not good for it to sit so long without running and she's happy to handle that.

      Fingers crossed you'll find the perfect house sitter.
      Counting the days...

      Delete
  2. I am so happy you are going on this cruise!!! Don`t worry, be happy like the song says! You both need this time to just enjoy & have fun! What a wonderful experience ,not many people will be able to do this in their lifetime! Make the best of it & I know you will ! Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom, I appreciate these encouraging words so much. You're quite wonderful, you know that? Love you so much and will miss you and Dad terribly.

      Delete
  3. Seize the moment. You never know what tomorrow will bring. Here we are having canceled our Jan-Mar plans to go overseas because Mui was diagnosed with a condition that required open heart surgery this week. Luckily he is otherwise healthy and on the road to recovery already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Erin! I'm so sorry to hear about Mui's health issue. You both just rocketed to the top of my prayer list.

      Delete
  4. Hi Erin. I have just jumped aboard here in Australia to follow your trip. I'm sorry that you have had this property issue jump up to distract you but I hope you are able to enjoy this once in a life time trip all the same. Something similar happened to me and my DH asked 'did anyone die?' which quickly put everything back in perspective for me. As they say, this too will pass. I really enjoy other people's travel stories so I cant wait for yours. I hope you are looking forward to your cruise as much as I am. Take care and I hope you both have the time of your life!
    Thanks for writing,
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for jumping in, Suzanne, and I'm glad you're planning to come along with us via the blog. We can't wait to see Australia! It's been on my To-Do list for a long time. We'll have six ports of call in your wonderful country.

      Delete
  5. Totally off this subject, but I had a thought this morning...I didn't go back and read your packing list, and you've had lists and checked twice, but...did you remember to order extra filters for your soclean? I only thought of it because mine started flashing this morning!!! Just asking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually changed my filters just last week and since they're good for 6 months, I should be okay till we get back home. Even though I wish I could have afforded to buy a travel-sized, I wouldn't leave home without my big one. I do however plan to fill the void with cannulas and other odds and ends before I wedge the unit into my carry on! ;-)

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment and let's chat!