Thursday, May 17, 2018

Cruising Becomes Me

Salt water cures all wounds. ~ Anonymous

For millennia, people have been traveling for their health. As far back as 4000 BC, the Sumerians built health complexes around hot springs. (Of course, they also performed trepanation--the practice of drilling into people's skulls, so what did they know?) Regency era Brits visited the sea side or journeyed to Bath to take the waters. There's an account in the Bible of the paralytic languishing beside the pool at Bethesda, hoping to be healed when the water was stirred up. When Jesus came along, the man was healed without getting wet, but the point is, there's long been a connection in the human psyche between health and water.


This falls under the category of anecdotal evidence, but I think there's something to it. My general health, lung condition, and well-being were definitely improved by our world cruise. Here are some of the ways:
  1. Salt air acts as a natural antihistamine. I took fewer decongestants while on board than I usually need on land.
  2. Oxygen makes up about 21% of the atmosphere all over the world, but at higher elevations the air pressure is lower, which causes the molecules to spread out, making it feel as if there is less oxygen.
    View from my sister's deck, a nice place to be a slug!
    At sea level, I get the full benefit of that 21%! (This may also explain why I turn into a slug at my sister's place in Keystone, SD. The effective O2 level drops to 17.5% at her house. Even Herkimer, my portable oxygen concentrator isn't as efficient at higher elevations and, according to factory specs, quits working entirely above 10,000 ft.)
  3. I actually lost weight on the ship! My doctor was so surprised (and pleased). I credit controlled portions in the Dining Room, less diet soda and more water, and being much more active! 
  4. On the ship, I started a walking regime, trying to up my step count each day. In January, my average didn't make it to 2000 steps a day. February bumped up to almost 5000, and March was nearly 6000. In April, my average step count was 7900 and now that I'm home, my average for May is still over 6000. I know this isn't the 10K everyone says we should have each day, but for someone who needs supplemental O2 when she walks, this is big stuff! 
  5. My balance is improved. After dancing with the ocean for 94 days, I'm much surer of foot on land.
And the changes weren't just physical. I'm more curious about our world. I seek out news of things happening beyond our borders. I've started playing the piano more--in case I ever run into David Klinkenberg and his violin again! 

Speaking of David Klinkenberg, I've gone back in the blog and updated Day 1-6 with additional photos and memories, including a video tour of stateroom 7009 on the Day 3 post. If you'd like to see those embellishments, you'll want to start with Day 1, and move on to the next newer post. Most of the added material is at the end of the post, but occasionally I think of things I wanted to add within the existing post. Either way, I've used a different color and font for the extras. This may well be nothing more than something for me, to remember the voyage more completely, but there may also be a few things you'll  be interested in too. 

Hope so.

16 comments:

  1. I think your comments are spot on regarding health and water. 90% of our vacations involve water, be it fresh or salt. We, recently, went to Minnesota to open the lake cabin for the year and came back feeling refreshed and more at peace with the world. There is something settling about water that improves us. When we vacation in the mountains we don't get that sensation. I'm looking forward to your updated posts. Thanks again for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Larry. When I was a kid, my family used to vacation at my grandparents' cabin in northern Minnesota. Big Island Lake near Marcel holds a wealth of precious memories for me, not the least of which is of our honeymoon! We were too poor to afford one, so my grandparents made their cabin available to us, God bless 'em. It was late May and the water was ice cold, but it was a beautiful place to start our married life!

      Delete
  2. Just wanted to let you know how much Steve and I enjoyed your daily updates on the cruise. From your pictures and descriptions, we felt like we were there as well. Thank you for the emails. I love your historical romances as well.
    Steve and Amy Aves Wendt - Manly/Mason City, IA


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy! It's so good to hear from you. Thanks for following us on our adventures, and I appreciate those kind words about my books. THE SINGULAR MR. SINCLAIR is coming out in July. I think he's my favorite hero to date--with the exception of the DH of course!

      Delete
    2. Already pre-ordered it! Thanks!

      Delete
    3. No, thank YOU! I'm always grateful when someone spends their precious free time (not to mention their money!) with my books.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for going back and adding the video tour of your cabin. Here is the link to your video on YouTube, for those who might wish to watch it there. https://youtu.be/7zmkQqbaGik

    I may be doing a British cruise on Pacific Princess in 2019, and so need to get some European power adapters for that. Ironic that they do not seem to have British power plugs on board. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the cabin tour. It helps me to see a cabin before we go so I'll know how much stuff I can comfortable pack!

      We had both American and European plugs in our stateroom on the Pacific Princess. An adapter is a "must pack" item!

      Delete
  4. Just wanted to say hi,to a lovely couple who was always happy and ready to have a yarn about good times in life and of our beautiful world cruise,it certainly does make you realize that home (in my case) Australia,does have all the beauty,laid back lifestyle and mainly charming and friendly people.Your aussie friends Anna and Frank.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Anna & Frank! How lovely to hear from you! We had such fun with you that day at the national park in Croatia. Honestly, every Aussie I met on the ship was a total delight. I could happily live in your wonderful country & hope so much that I'll get to visit it again!

      Delete
  5. Diana, We missed you at the 45th Class Reunion of the North Central Class of 1973. Would have loved to talk about your writing. Sorry about your lung condition. I also have a lung condition called Trachea Bronchial Malysia (the windpipe and bronchial tubes have become floppy and not stiff, so difficult to breathe in and out). Why do things like this happen.

    I will read some of your books. Sandy Thede

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandy! I'm resisting the urge to call you Ms. Thede. Old habits die hard. Unfortunately, my DH had surgery right around the reunion, so travel was out of the question. He's so grateful he didn't have his gallbladder flare while we were on the ship!

      Thanks for checking out my books. ;-)

      Delete
  6. Heya superb blog! Does running a blog similar to this take a large amount of work?
    I've absolutely no knowledge of computer programming however I was hoping to start my own blog soon. Anyhow, if you have any ideas or techniques for new blog owners please share.
    I understand this is off topic however I simply wanted to ask.
    Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome blog you have here but I was curious about if
    you knew of any community forums that cover the
    same topics discussed in this article? I'd really love to be a part of group where I can get responses from other
    experienced people that share the same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me
    know. Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks on your marvelous posting! I definitely enjoyed reading
    it, you could be a great author.I will remember to bookmark your blog and
    will eventually come back from now on. I want to encourage you to definitely
    continue your great writing, have a nice morning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOw!! This blog is very Awesome and mind blowing. thanks for sharing this attractive package for world tour india pictures and this blog.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment and let's chat!