Friday, November 17, 2017

The Joy of Shoe Shopping!

'The time has come,' the walrus said, 'to talk of many things: of shoes and ships - and sealing wax - of cabbages and kings.' ~ Lewis Carroll

Okay, I know the title of this post surprises those who know me. After all, I am the Anti-Shopper.

Ask anyone. Wandering around a mall "looking for nothing in particular but I'll know it when I find it is" my definition of the ninth circle of Hell.

My parents, who will celebrate 64 years of wedded bliss this year!

I am, however, an enthusiastic buyer when I know exactly what I want and where to find it. Those two trajectories synced last week when we took my parents to Branson. It was something of an early Christmas/Anniversary present. (Yep! They followed a 3 generation family tradition of being married on Christmas Day. The DH and I decided some traditions were made to be broken!)


Foyer of the Sight & Sound Theater
For the uninitiated, Branson, MO is a small town nestled in the Ozarks that features more live theaters per square mile than Broadway. We took the folks to see The Miracle of Christmas at the Sight & Sound Theater. It was a visually stunning production and there were more characters flying above the stage and our heads than if we'd gone to see Peter Pan! 




Anyway, after the shows, the next biggest draw for Branson is the shopping. Ordinarily, this would make me groan, but I happened to know there was a Rockport store at the Tanger Outlet. 

I usually have trouble finding a shoe that fits. I don't know what it is about the Rockport brand, but I can almost always wear a pair out of the store and have them feel like they were made just for my feet. On this particular trip, I found FOUR (count 'em!) pairs. The very sweet salesperson Rhonda was so  good to help me find just the right size.


Mack, seen in the background, thinks packing never bodes well for a dog...

I'm tickled to pieces with all of them. The three dress shoes all have non-skid soles, so they'll be perfect for shipboard evenings. The black heels aren't so tall that I'm afraid I'll  break an ankle if the Pacific Princess starts rocking. The blue slip-ons will be great for walking excursions. The strawberry in the situation is that they were all on sale and averaged $30 a piece. Along with my red leather deck shoes (also Rockports) these five will compose the bulk of my cruise shoe wardrobe.

But I'll also be bringing three pairs of sandals--black, brown and blue--and hot pink flipflops for a total of 9 pairs of shoes. I'd originally thought I could pare it down to five altogether, but it looks like this is the final count.

Oh! And did I mention that they all hug my feet? (Contented sigh!)


So how about you? Are you an Anti-Shopper, too? Or do you, like my mom, shake your head in disbelief that I could actually hate shopping? 

Want my posts to come to your inbox? Sign up to Follow by Email in the little form under my pic in the right hand column. Just type in your email address. You may have prove you're not a robot and then confirm your subscription when you get an email asking if you really meant to sign up, but after that, you'll never miss a moment of our adventures!

8 comments:

  1. I used to love walking around the mall “looking”. Now I have to have a goal in mind.

    I am having a hard time cutting back on shoes for the cruise. I “know” I don’t need as many as I will likely take. Right now the count is at three pairs of sandals, three pairs of evening shoes, a pair of closed toe almost sneakers, and the pair of flats I will wear on the plane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Good point. I can wear a pair on the plane! Well, every little bit helps when you're trying to shoehorn so much into your suitcase!

      Delete
  2. As a man, shopping is a military exercise. You plan the mission with and objective, you hit the store you extract only what was the predetermined objective and get out. The less time spent in the enemy territory the better. Less chance of casualties. I love shopping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Even though I have no military background, I usually describe my brand of shopping as Ninja-style. Locate, acquire, extract.

      Delete
  3. Love the pictures ! m

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great time we had on that trip! We saw so many wonderful sights, the play was inspiring & so well done ! The Christmas lights were fabulous! Thanks again for everything you two always do for us! Love you so much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you too, Mom. I feel so blessed to have you and Dad in our lives. I love being just a few blocks away. We're going to miss you terribly, but know you'll be following along the journey with us.

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment and let's chat!