Tuesday, August 22, 2017

An Adventure on our Doorstep

The heavens are telling of the glory of God;
Psalm 19:1

A total eclipse of the sun rolled through Missouri yesterday. We live only a little way out of the path of totality, so with our friends, Joy and Mike, we drove a couple of hours toward St, Louis. After a very early start (Oh!dark six:thirty!) we reached a rest area just outside of the town of St. Clair, which was in the direct path.

It was perfect. The stop offered shaded seating areas, a place to picnic, and, most importantly, access to rest rooms. Since we had about three hours to wait, this last point was very important! At around eleven AM, we started to notice that the sunlight that appeared through the trees was morphing into definite sickle-shapes.

The temperature dropped noticeably, but the sun still threw off a great deal of light. We didn't stare at the sun constantly. Even though my friend  Joy had used these glasses at a previous eclipse, I'm the careful sort. We checked the eclipse's progress about every ten minutes.

Then when the totality was about five minutes away, we took our position so we could watch the last sliver of the sun disappear. Darkness gathered. The street lights came on. Venus became visible in the southeastern sky. Cicadas, thinking night had fallen, began their eerie song of fading summer.

Then between one breath and the next, the sun was completely thrown into the shadow of the moon.

I've been blessed to see some amazing things in my lifetime. I've flown over the polar region and seen the way the ice cap resembles a cracked egg. I've seen the masterpieces of Da Vinci and Vermeer, Van Gough and Renoir. I've watched with awe as my children took their first steps.

Nothing prepared me for the wonder of seeing the sun completely blocked out. I've known since I was a child that the earth rotates on its axis and the moon revolves around us. And in that eternal do-si-do, we sashay together around the sun. But I'd never seen evidence of that cosmic dance with my own eyes until that instant.

This is not my photo, but this is what I saw.
In those few moments (read: over 2, almost 3 minutes of totality where we were) I had a flash of what Jung would call collective memory, imagining the terror an eclipse must have caused before the reason for the phenomenon was known. The sun was conquered, swallowed up by dark shadow. All light, all joy, all life was being snuffed out.

Then the moon's disc shifted and a flash of Bailey's beads appeared. It was time to don our protective glasses again as the sun re-emerged.

Did you know that Earth is the only planet in our solar system that has a moon of the correct size and correct distance from us to create an eclipse? What an elegant system we've been given.

After this experience, I feel very proprietary about our sun. It's special. And it hurts me to hear people say we circle an ordinary star located in a relative backwater of our galaxy. We have a spectacular sun. It's perfect for us. In fact, the whole arrangement couldn't have been more perfect if it had been designed especially for us.

Hmm... could Someone be trying to tell us something?


Maybe it's "Take those stupid glasses off. You look ridiculous!"

Anyway, we're still crazy excited about our world cruise and are looking forward to all the wonders we'll discover while we're traveling around the globe. But I just thought I'd share the adventure we had close to home this week.

Wonders really are everywhere.

~
If you'd like to come with us on our adventures, be sure to sign up to Follow by Email by typing your email addie in the form in the right hand column! 

8 comments:

  1. I grew up in southern Illinois so I had all of my friends and family texting me during the eclipse telling me what I was missing. (We had strong thunderstorms ALL day long here in Minnesota so the eclipse just made it go from dark to darker.) My husband and I both attended SIU in Carbondale and it was fun seeing all of the news reports from there on Monday. Sounds like they are going to be in the path of the next total eclipse in 2024 so maybe we should start making plans now to "go home."!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The town where we live is in the path of totality for the 2024 eclipse. I've already decided we need to have a family reunion around that time and invite all the relatives down for an Eclipse Party! Of course, here in the Ozarks, we're as likely to have a cloudy day as a sunny one, but at least the company will be terrific!

      Years ago, we used to live in MPLS. Minnesota is a great state. I can personally attest that "Minnesota Nice" is a real thing!

      Delete
  2. No eclipse for us on Eclipse, except for what we saw on TV. But I remember seeing a couple of them as a child. Not sure where we will be in 2024, but if we are in the US we might make plans to go somewhere to see the totality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never seen the totality before. I don't even think I'd seen a partial. I'd invite you to drop by our place in 2024, but like I said, Missouri is famous for its haze. We were so very lucky not to have the totally overcast skies we'd had just the day before. Still, if you want to take a chance, let me know in 2024!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the invite ;-) ...

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing! What a great adventure you all had ! Love MoM

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you had a great eclipse experience! We had just under two minutes and were pretty busy! We were at a friend's ranch in Oregon and Dave was the 'resident expert', we shared our telescope with 20-30 other watchers. My job was to watch the stop watch so I could tell everyone when to put their glasses back on! We didn't get many pictures, a few before and after. We knew there would be a lot available done by professional photographers, we just concentrated on the experience. I didn't get my glasses back on fast enough and saw an absolutely spectacular diamond ring as totality ended! It made me understand why some would stare at the sun long enough to hurt themselves, it was just gorgeous. Dave has already started a notebook for 2024. It goes right through Indianapolis where I have family, but Dave is not convinced...cloud cover probability is 50%, better farther south. This will be an ongoing discussion I think.... ;)

    Kristy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are so looking forward to stargazing with you and Dave on the Pacific Princess! Can't wait!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment and let's chat!