Friday, May 31, 2019

Fashion Phobia

"If they don't like your looks, they can look the other way!"
~ Fashion advice from my Father

When I was in middle school a fashion show was organized in connection with Home Ec class. A local department store brought in a bunch of outfits--including a much-coveted long prom-type gown. They chose their models from our class and the catwalk-style show was presented to the entire student body in the auditorium.

I was one of only three students chosen NOT to model. 

At the time, I thought, "OMGosh! I'm too ugly to be chosen."

I felt terrible. In retrospect, it probably had more to do with the fact that in a post-Twiggy world, I was the unhappy possessor of a pair of 36C's. Anyway, the damage was done and I decided fashion and I were not destined to be friends.

I recently discovered that the first week of our upcoming cruise is...wait for it...FASHION WEEK! Here's the blurb from the Cunard website:

Now an anticipated annual event in our calendar, we are delighted to once again host Transatlantic Fashion Week on board our flagship liner. Revel in the glamour, dressing up, and unforgettable highlights, as we celebrate the world of fashion.
Guests will have the chance to enjoy catwalk shows, ‘audiences with…’, talks, hosted dinners, and more.Headline names include the Duchess of Sussex’s milliner of choice, Stephen Jones OBE, alongside fashion greats including Stuart Weitzman, Pat Cleveland, Lindy Woodhead, Rosemarie Bravo CBE, and Stanley Tucker.
This crossing is also delighted to welcome back the esteemed fashion experts Colin McDowell MBE, one of the industry’s most senior and respected fashion historians, and Gail Sackloff OBE, consultant to the international fashion industry. The sailing will also feature emerging new designers from some of the world’s leading fashion colleges.
Heavy sigh... however, I'm no longer that self-conscious little 7th grader. Over the years, my hour-glass figure has become more like an hour and a half, but I've found ways to dress that make me feel comfortable and proud of myself. I'll treat the fashion shows and advice on the ship like a smorgasbord--I'll take what I like & leave the rest.

Since Cunard has some pretty strict dress codes, I've already begun to mentally assemble the wardrobe I'll pack. Only thing is I actually need 3 wardrobes--one for kicking around the ship during the day and going on excursions, one for Smart Attire evenings, and one for the 8 formal nights. In the posts to come, I'll share those packing lists and my fashion tips for "ladies of a certain size."

On second thought, today I'm trying to break in a new pair of heels I plan to take by wearing thick fuzzy pink stockings with them, so what do I know? 


PS. Shingles update: I'm well past the whimpering stage of the disease. Now I'm just healing. The right side of my scalp and forehead are pretty numb, which I've learned is to be expected. I feel like I lost the whole month of May. I'll probably start the new non-live virus shingles vaccine protocol in August after our cruise.

When we travel, I always find places to which I long to return. This is one experience I have no desire to repeat.


9 comments:

  1. I did some hair modeling for my hairdresser when I was in grade school. That was plenty of “cat walking” for me!!! Every time we consider Cunard, the dress code turns us away. Might have to break down one of these days and do one of the TA’s if that is the only one that works for us, but so far we’ve managed to work our travel plans around the schedule of other cruise lines. Speaking of which ... we’ll already have wedding attire in our bags, so maybe I should go look at the Cunard T/As for this fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I don't think we'll find the dress code that onerous. We usually change for dinner anyway when we cruise. Makes every evening onboard more like a "date night!"

      Delete
  2. My first cruise was on Cunard,a family sojourn with my very ill mother. Oh my ,how the women in the group agonized over what we needed to wear each evening. My normally easy to live with husband became quite cranky. I loved the cruise but can't convince the partner to repeat! Enjoy yourself and I am sure all will be well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! I messed up, Terry. The following comment is actually my reply to you. Thanks for taking the time to chat!

      Delete
  3. Men actually have an easier time with the dress code than women. A jacket, shirt and decent slacks are all that are required on smart attire nights. And my DH actually enjoys playing James Bond in his tux.

    For women, the suggestions on Cunard's website are a bit more nebulous. Dresses, cocktail dresses, separates, gowns--anything goes! I suspect I'll see more formal separates than ball gowns just because of luggage constraints.

    ReplyDelete
  4. DH here! I wanted to relate what happened to us once in Hanover, Germany when they were having a fashion week there. I was there on business working with Tui Airlines, and we had come a day early to get accustomed to the time zone. DW had come with to give me moral support, and do some sight seeing.

    My friend Dieter was taking us out on a Pub Crawl because I had told him that I didn't have much of a taste for beer. The places he took us were fascinating because some of them had been brewing beer since the 1600's, but that is the subject of another blog post.

    We were sitting in the hotel lobby having coffee waiting for Dieter's wife and son to join us. Suddenly everyone became aware of a model doing her "catwalk" moves through the lobby, heading directly towards our table. The model stopped directly in front of DW, and looking down on her said (with a heavy German accent), "Nice shoes." Then with a flourish she did a spin, and sauntered away with the whole lobby watching her.

    We were in shock for a moment, then we broke out into the giggles. Every now and then when we need a good laugh I will stop, and look down my nose at the DW, and say "Nice shoes!" It is always good for a laugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how I wish I still had those shoes! They were my "Cinderella" heels, bare on the sides, jet black suede uppers bedecked with gold grommets. Unfortunately, I wore them out and haven't ever seen another pair like them.

      Delete
  5. Most cruise lines require 'dressing' for dinner and the guidelines are like those of Cunard....long skirts, wide leg palazzo pants, tunics, silk shirts, lots of bling and shawls and you're good to go! forget the 'frothy', and forget the high heels...walk and dance safely with dressy flats and wedge....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's probably good advice, Villagrace. The jury is still out on the little gold kitten heels, even though they aren't very high. I have visions of me walking barefoot on my way back to our cabin, blingy shoes in my hand, the DH's bow tie & undone hanging unevenly down his shirtfront. Unless I can feel comfortable in them, those shoes won't make the trip.

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment and let's chat!