Thursday, September 12, 2019

Things I Didn't Love about Cunard

"I have a great distaste for people who always find something to complain about, because life is too short."  Sandy Kaplan

I've been putting off writing this post, because I really don't like to be a whiner. It bothers me to listen to others find fault. And I truly hate it when I do it myself. But I did promise to share the less-than-wonderful things we discovered while aboard the Queen Mary 2, so here goes.

Please realize that these things are pretty specific to me. Your mileage will surely vary. 

  • The unexpected consequence of a more formal ship--The DH and I didn't feel the extra formality would be a problem for us. I have the requisite wardrobe and the DH is the picture of sartorial elegance in his tux. Even on non-gala nights, we were expected to dress well (fancy date-night or going-to-church nice). What I didn't expect with the extra formality is that when people dress well, they tend to slather on more perfume, hair products, and after-shave than normal. Along with my lung condition, I have an extreme sensitivity to the chemical smells in personal care products. I can actually taste them in the back of my throat. Riding the elevator or being in crowded evening venues was very difficult for me. 
  • Buffet line practices--On Princess (our most recent cruise line before Cunard), the food is kept completely behind glass and gloved crew members dish up whatever passengers request. On Cunard, the glass is merely a sneeze-guard, and guests dish up for themselves. Everyone is supposed to wash their hands before entering the buffet on the Lido deck, but it's on the honor system. I ended up handling utensils which may or may not have been recently touched by someone who hasn't washed their hands, or is battling a cold. I'm not naturally a germophobe, but because of a couple of medications I take for my lung condition, I have a suppressed immune system. I don't get sick often but a cold will linger for weeks. So I'm religious about hand-washing and avoiding touching public surfaces, like door knobs and elevator buttons and buffet line tongs.
  • Thinner than expected cabin walls--Our cabin was beautifully appointed with plenty of storage and very comfortable. But for the first time on a cruise ship, we could hear our neighbor's TV. I reasoned that perhaps they had a hearing difficulty and needed additional volume. Then I heard our neighbor give a little cough. It occurred to me then that they could hear us as well (and were probably acutely aware that our "afternoon naps" involved very little actual napping!) 
  • Worst Internet ever--We could never connect to the internet in our stateroom. Even searching out the nodes in public settings wasn't much of an improvement. The only time I had decent connectivity and speed was in the harbor of Southampton when the ship was turning over from one set of passengers to another and there were very few people on board. 
Even with these little nitpicks, we had a fantastic time aboard the QM2. My friend Marcy told me when we got home that the blog read like we were on a second honeymoon. (She's so good at subtext!) We had every reason to be delighted by our trip to Norway and England. The experience will stay with us for a very long time.

More travel stories soon...

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for your views. As one who, very happily, followed you on your world cruise, I can say your views will be taken with an appreciation and not seen as whining.

    My wife and I have contemplated spending an extended time in the UK after we retire and have planned on sailing on Cunard rather than fly as we cross. It will be nice to know the dress requirements are as I thought. I'm looking forward to following your next adventure. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely take the QM2 to avoid a flight across the Pond. Plus you will be royally entertained while you do it.

      Delete
  2. This is the DH...Let me add a comment about things that weren't so nice about Cunard.

    People on Cunard take ballroom dancing way too seriously. Because of the medical conditions, we have to stay in a corner, and remain in a box step when we dance. You should have seen the dirty looks that I got when we weren't "going with the flow". Even with an Oxygen Concentrator on my back, people were pushing and shoving to get me out of the way so that they could make their circuit around the floor. The dancefloor was also packed all the time, so there was no opportunity to find a quiet spot to do our dancing. It was very difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, the DH blocked me seeing from the aforementioned "dirty looks." The DH is a wonderful dancer, and we used to cut a rug with the best of them. But my limitations now mean we need to stake out a small parcel of real estate in a corner. When we were on the 2018 Princess WC, our generous fellow-travelers often applauded our efforts. They were definitely giving us an E for "effort," but it was very kind of them.

      Delete
  3. Hello! I've been reading your web site for a long time now and finally got the courage to go ahead and give
    you a shout out from Humble Texas! Just wanted to tell you keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for posting this information. Definitely not a whine; this type of perspective is very helpful when I consider whether or not Cunard is the right line for me.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment and let's chat!