Friday, October 8, 2021

About a Row Boat

September 26, 2021

“Sometimes, the biggest secrets you can only tell a stranger.” ― Michelle Hodkin

Or a roomful of strangers, but I'm skipping ahead in my story about today...

Photo credit: D-I-L who has a great eye!
Nephew was seasick at breakfast, but one of my scopolamine patches fixed him right up. (Yes, I know these meds are available only by prescription, but what kind of aunt would I be if I have the means to help him and withheld it?) 

Our server at breakfast asked Mom and Dad how long they'd been married and when he learned they had been together 67 years, he urged them to enter The Not-So-Newly-Wed Game that would be held in the Atrium at 9 PM. Turns out they are always looking for people who've been married for a long, long time. They said they'd think about it.

Dad and the DH watched the hapless Kansas City Chiefs lose, much to Dad's disgust, while Mom, #2 Daughter, Nephew and I went to the art auction. I know some folks pooh-pooh these gatherings, but I find them interesting. Especially when there are some very high dollar bids made. The equivalent of an "art whale" was in the house and he walked away with a signed Dali lithograph and several other original works by lesser known artists. Anytime someone drops tens of thousands of dollars in one sitting, it's exciting to watch. 

#2 Daughter also made a purchase--a Disney print of Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck! I've bought a lot of art over the years onboard and each one reminds me of the fun we had on our voyages. I'm glad she has a keepsake from this trip that also reminds her of her childhood.     

The DH and I enjoyed some time in our cabin that afternoon. I love watching the ocean from our balcony. We're kind of private people. We love socializing, but after a while we feel the need to withdraw and recharge a bit. Plus it gave the family a chance to do whatever they wanted, not what I suggested. Besides, it was Dress Up if You Want To Night--what passes for a formal night on Norwegian. We're traditionalists, so I wore a long gown with a red sparkly jacket and the DH matched me in a suit with a red vest. 

We caught up with #1 Daughter and D-I-L for supper in Manhattan Room at 5:00 so we could make the 7:30 Beatles Invasion show in the theatre. It was 45 minutes of songs I knew all the words to, and truth to tell, was singing along with most of the time. Lots of fun!

Then at 9pm, we all met in the Atrium where mom and dad entered the Not So Newly Wed Game. Or rather, the DH entered them, and not so surprisingly, they were picked to be contestants. At 67 years of marriage, they were the longest wed of those on the stage. And they stole the show! 

You know how this game works. First the ladies answered embarrassing questions while the men waited offstage. Then the roles were reversed. I will have to say that my dad was the only man who rose to his feet when his wife returned. The cruise director pointed that out and praised Dad for his gentlemanly actions. Possibly, it's the secret to 67 happy years together! The two of them held hands most of the time, They were so funny and endearing at the same time.  

And we learned a family secret about a incident on their belated honeymoon involving a certain rowboat in northern Minnesota that was, shall we say, put to use for an activity outside of its factory specs...

I do have a video of that astounding admonition, but I've promised not embarrass them online. So here's a little insight into their all-important first kiss... (Special thank you's to Shellie W., another passenger on the ship who managed to capture my parents in all their glory! Hugs to you, Shellie! Hope we meet again on the high seas!)


And now to see if Mom remembered the event the same way...


Of course, they won the game! The Encore ran a video of the entire game over and over on the stateroom tv's. Subsequently, they became famous (or possibly infamous!) for the rest of the cruise!

It was a very fun and happy day!

5 comments:

  1. Oh such FUN! So glad everyone is having an Awesome time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The most delightful thing about the Not-So-Newlywed Game was that Mom and Dad were treated like celebrities for the rest of the cruise. Strangers would come up an hug them and exclaim "Oh, look! It's Bob and Evelyn!" Our kids would be out and about onboard and overhear other people talking about them--always positively--and after a bit, they'd pipe up and say, "That's our grandparents!" So they could bask in a little of their reflected glory.

      It really made the cruise fun for my folks!

      Delete
    2. It sounds like everyone is having such a fabulous time.

      Delete
  2. What fun! Glad you are having such a good time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really did! Norwegian did a great job for my family in so many ways!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment and let's chat!