Friday, November 19, 2021

The End is Near...

"There is no real ending. It's just the place where you stop the story." -Frank Herbert

October 1, 2021

This trip was several years in the making and now it's nearly over. We are all making memories and drawing closer together in so many ways, but Mr. Herbert is right. Our family's story is not ending. It's just moving back to our regular stomping grounds.  

We ran into my parents, #2 Daughter & Nephew at breakfast. The Encore is a much bigger ship than they've ever cruised on before, but they have learned their way around and manage quite nicely on their own. How about that? I didn't need to hover as much as I thought I might. Besides, everyone they meet still recognizes them and hails them as the couple who slayed The Not-So-Newlywed-Game that first night! 

I joined #2 Daughter for trivia at 9:00. We've competed in several games together over the week and frankly, she often does better without me. When the topic is popular culture, I'm clueless. 

Then I joined #1 Daughter and D-I-L for a painting class. We weren't aware that reservations were needed, but the crew member leading the class was very flexible and accommodated as many of us extras as she could. #1 Daughter decided to spectate for this activity, so D-I-L and I could take part. She's sweet like that.  

It was so nice to do something side-by-side and talk and enjoy each other. The process was more important than the product in my case, but her painting really turned out great. Of course, that may be because she is an artist and I'm just a dabbler. 



I continue to love being on the sea again. The air is so fresh and clean. A natural antihistamine. I had to put on a second patch scopolamine patch as we moved from the sheltered inside passage to the Pacific. Nephew benefited from another one as well. 

Everyone else seems impervious to the motion of the ocean. 


However, wearing a seasickness patch didn't stop Nephew from rising to the top of the leader board on the go-cart track! The DH and #2 Daughter got suited up to take a few turns around the largest go-cart track at sea, too. They had to take off their glasses and remove anything else that might fly off before climbing into their little roadsters. 

It’s no trouble to get a high step count on the Encore, so I’m feeling stronger each day. 

We're beginning to pack for the trip home tomorrow. The saddest of all cruise days is when the suitcases get put out in the hallway. However, to take away the sting of leaving this wonderful mode of travel, Norwegian has an agreement with SEA-TAC called Port Valet that allows us to let them haul our bags to the airport separately from the bus transfer that will take us there. We won’t see them again until we reach STL near midnight tomorrow. What a wonderful service!

Though we often went our own ways during the days, we met each evening for dinner in the Manhattan Room.

Along with the wonder that is Alaska, the Encore provided us a way to travel with comfort, style, excellent food and service, more activities than we could ever take part in, and so many funny, and heart-warming memories. 

Norwegian really pulled out all the stops to make this a trip we'll never forget! 

2 comments:

  1. So glad you had a wonderful cruise. Thanks for sharing that with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say enough about how well Norwegian treated us. It was lovely to be able to be maskless while we were on board. And since everyone was fully vaccinated even my octogenarian parents felt safe.

      Hopefully, I'll be giving you another trip to follow soon. AS far as we know our 2022 Viking WC is still a go. We'll see...

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment and let's chat!