Friday, August 19, 2022

Covid Caught Up to Us

84 degrees & sunny. So glad to be done with our heatwave and drought!

"I like to think of life as an adventure, like a roller coaster." ~ Eddie Izzard

Nearly two years of Covid restrictions, then taking the family on a 2021 Alaskan cruise on the Norwegian Encore without incident, 122 days of daily testing on the Viking Star while exploring the world...and the DH and I never had so much as a sniffle in all that time. 

Now, in the peace and safety of our small Ozark town, the latest omicron variant has finally nabbed us. 

In mid July, the DH developed a sore throat with a fever and tested positive. At that time, I was still negative. Even so, with my lung condition, my doc put me on a prophylactic paxlovid course, the same medicine the President was given. Despite that precaution, a week later, I joined my hubby in the positive camp, as did #2 Daughter who lives with us. (She sailed through her 5 days of paxlovid, 5 days of masking, and has been perfectly healthy since then, thank You, God!) 

After a rebound of symptoms (something that is not as rare as the media would like us to believe), I had a second round of paxlovid (which, if you haven't experienced it, feels sort of like having your insides raked with a cheese grater and leaves the most heinous metal taste in your mouth!) but my covid symptoms still lurked. 

There were never terrible. I didn't have a fever. After the initial sore throat abated, it's behaved like an inconvenient head cold. The worst for me is that I've lost my sense of smell again. (Something that happened during our bout with a mystery virus in fall of 2019-early 2020 before covid had a name. After all the other symptoms retreated, a year passed before I could smell my morning coffee again.) With this virus, mostly. I'm just tired now.

And still testing positive...

I'm so ready to rejoin my life in progress, but until I have two consecutive negatives, I'm hanging out at home. I like to think I'm a generous person, but some things I don't believe in sharing.

Still...it could be so much worse. We could've contracted the more virulent Delta version. We could've tested positive on the WC and disembarked somewhere else in the world trying to deal with health professionals who speak another language. We could've infected my octogenarian parents before we realized we were sick.

We did everything right. We were double vaxed & boosted. We masked up when required. 

And this covid virus still found us. 

At some point, we as a species need to find a way to live with this bug, like we do the flu and the common cold (another corona virus!) I wish there was more definition in the reported death count now as I suspect more people are dying with covid than from it at this point in the viral mutations. Accuracy on that count would calm a lot of fears. 

And it's important for us to not be afraid of each other. It's vital for our children to be able to face the world unmasked, lest they fall behind on critical developmental milestones, (which sadly is something that has already happened.) Human beings need connections with other humans. It's hard to do that when you can't read someone's face. 

We were made to laugh and talk and sing together, not curl up like armadillos at the first sign of a cough. We are social beings. We need our tribes. 

Once I test negative twice, I'm ready to ditch my mask unless its mandatory. In the large scheme of things, a virus that results in illness no more bothersome than a cold (in my experience, at least. YMMV.) is not worth destroying the fabric of our society, our connectedness, our need for engagement with each other, over.  

As always, feel free to disagree. Civilized differences of opinion are what this country is about. 

7 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree with you more! Your heartfelt observations on our society in 2022 are even more eloquent as they come from a wise veteran of a sinister virus. Wishing You Well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Foxpaw. I tested again this morning and the telltale stripe was very faint. I think that's still a positive, but it's better than the thick heavy stripe I was getting.

      One thing I've learned through this is that no matter how hard we try, we cannot control everything. We can't regulate enough, medicate enough, isolate enough to achieve our end of zero infection. Does that mean we should stop trying? No. But it means we need to look at the broader picture. From the very beginning, this virus played havoc mostly with people in the 65+ demographic or those with co-morbidities. Healthy younger people had less to fear from it. Children, almost nothing. Trying to shoehorn everyone into the same program isn't the answer.

      That said, I'm a firm believer in vaccination. It's probably why I'm only experiencing this as a wretched cold instead of life-threatening event. (Not that this current omicron variant is so virulent. It's just my lung condition which makes me more vulnerable to any respiratory challenge.) But I'm not so sure we should rush to vaccinate children on an emergency FDA-approval basis. If we're going to follow the science, let's follow it. With the same rigorous studies we give to other vaccines our children receive.

      At a certain point, I have to ask myself "Are we following the science...or the money?"

      Delete
  2. As you know, we got nabbed by the virus after safely traveling and returning to the US. Like you we were masking up and were vaxed and boosted. It didn’t matter. Our symptoms were light, head-cold like. Took me about two weeks to get a negative, with the dreaded pink stripe getting more and more faint, until it disappeared. Unlike you, neither of us were given Paxlovid, so happy not to have had our innards grated like a cheese.

    I agree that we have to learn to live with this virus and can only hope that it doesn’t turn tail and become more deadly like the Delta and earlier variants were.

    Wishing you a speedy recovery through the last symptoms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The above anonymous is Erin (two to travel) … I can’t seem to comment on Blogger with my Google ID anymore.

      Delete
    2. Glad you dodged the Paxlovid. It seemed to stifle the Covid symptoms during the 5 days of treatment, but had some pretty egregious side effects of its own. Not sure what good it did long term.

      From what I've learned about viruses, I don't think they typically grow more vicious. And everything in my microbiology classes taught me that once we've met them, if we have healthy immune systems, we are protected from re-acquiring them. I used to count that as one of the blessings of aging--I'd already met a lot of the little beasties.

      But it seems we can become re-infected with this new variant, if the media is correct. That sort of flies in the face of all I've been previously taught.

      Glad you and Mui are doing well now. Take care and happy travels!

      Delete
  3. We had the awesome blessing of welcoming our son’s baby boy in Missouri, which we had prayed about for 5 yrs. Our other grandson went to Sunday School and the following Tuesday had the sniffles. By Saturday we all had a “cold”. On our way home, New Mexico, my son called to tell me he was positive. Of course he was concerned as I’m going through cancer treatment. I tested as soon as I got home and was positive. My symptoms lasted a few days with no loss of taste or smell. My doctors at MDA said I was given a little extra immunity. Hope you continue to improve and regain your sense of smell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy for you about your new grandbaby! But sorry omicron caught you all too. This one is just so very contagious. Glad you're on the mend now. I'm a cancer survivor too, so you're in my prayers. Sounds like you've a got a good medical team on your side. And the Great Physician too.

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment and let's chat!