Thursday, June 29, 2023

Never Would I Ever...

 "I know this isn’t scientific, but this ship’s warning me she’s gonna die and take a lot of people with her." -Thomas Andrews, Managing Director of Harland and Wolff Shipyards, Builders of the Titanic

On June 18, 2023, the experimental submersible, Titan, suffered a catastrophic implosion during its descent to view the wreckage of the Titanic on the ocean floor. Five more souls joined those who went down with that original "unsinkable" ship. The only mercy was that the implosion would have been instantaneous, with no time for panic or terror like those on the doomed ocean liner suffered. As a musician, I'm always moved by thoughts of the band members who continued to play, trying to calm those who didn't make it into a lifeboat,  while Titanic's deck slanted downward and the great ship sank. 

But the related disasters have caused lots of after-action hand-wringing. There should be more regulations, some say. Why would anyone take chances like that? Surely that sort of experience isn't worth the risk.

However, throughout history nothing has been accomplished without risk. There is a long list of inventors who were killed by their creation, among them Marie Curie who discovered radium, and Francis Stanley, who died in a crash of his steam-driven "Stanley Steamer" automobile. 

And what of those Type T explorers? Gus Grissom and Christa McAuliff reminded us that space travel might have become more routine, but it is not safe. If no one was willing to brave the North Atlantic in sailing ships in the 1600's, my family would still live in England. And all of us have realized that sitting in our easy chairs during the pandemic can be just as deadly as seemingly riskier behaviors.  

All that said, when I travel, I do tend to channel Goofy, my favorite Disney character, because he famously once said, "I'm brave, but I'm careful!"  

Not that we haven't done some adventurous things in our younger years. The DH earned his private pilot's license and we flew all over the American West, weaving our way through the mountain passes and zipping over the plains. We saw a barracuda (a really big one!) while snorkeling in the Bahamas. I got caught in a rip tide in Hawaii but managed to keep my head and swim parallel to the beach until I was out of it. I wandered Tokyo and the capitals of Europe solo, using public transit and my winning smile to get me where I wanted to be.   

But that was then. It's easy to get caught up in the spirit of adventure while traveling and take chances and make choices we wouldn't in our everyday life. So, here are a few things I will never do:

  • Skydive--No need to bail on a perfectly good airplane.
  • Bungee Jump--The feeling of impending doom has never called to me.
  • Parasail--There are easier, and more fun, ways to get a thrill.
  • Swim in the ocean--See the above mentioned barracuda and episode with the rip tide. Those happened when I was a strong swimmer in the pink of health. I'm definitely a paddling around in a sheltered cove girl now.
  • Book an excursion labeled "Demanding."--It's important to know your limits, not just for yourself but for others as well. My friend once booked a hike through the rainforest, knowing she needed knee replacement surgery soon but thinking she could make it. Unfortunately, she couldn't. She was miserable, in pain, and slowed down the whole group. They weren't able to complete the entire tour itinerary due to time constraints caused by her debility. She was not voted Miss Popularity. 
  • Hop willy-nilly into a cab in a foreign port--Without making sure the driver knows where I want to go, has told me what the fare will be and whether I can pay with American dollars or the local currency. Sadly, there have been lots of  scams perpetrated using credit cards.
  • Try to be the last passenger back on the ship before it sails--Some feel the need to squeeze every drop of time from every port. I would not do well as a "pier runner."
  • Slide down a water slide--The last time I did this on a Carnival ship, I was unable to draw breath during the twists and turns. It had never occurred to me that my weakened lungs would be unable to function at all if I threw in an extra G or so. 

And yet, it's hard for me to say "never." In fact, there is a place I'd love to see on our Queen Anne WC in Malaysia called the Batu Caves. It's a famous Hindu shrine about a half hour away from Kuala Lumpur. The only drawback is that it involves climbing 272 stairs. 


However, I have 568 days and a plan. More about that later...

So how about you? What would you never ever do? What do you wish you could try? 

4 comments:

  1. I'll never travel to Antarctica -- even though I'd love to see it. People just aren't meant to be there! I'd love to live with a family in another country and learn a difficult language by immersion again. I did it at 17 and 20 (French and German) but suspect it would be a whole new experience at 67 -- stretch my brain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you about Antarctica. I'd love to see it and in a perfect world, the Drake Passage would be uncharacteristically calm and we'd sail by watching penguin colonies on land and whales cavorting alongside us. The reality is that section of the world is subject to horrific winds and uncertain seas. When we were on the Viking WC in 2022, we were able to cruise around the Horn in fairly placid weather. However, we learned that the southernmost tree in the world grows on that desolate island--only it's growing while lying flat on the ground. Such are the prevailing winds!

      Also in agreement about acquiring a second language. While i have a smattering of German, French and Italian, I've always felt my education was lacking because I'm not fluent in another tongue.

      Delete
    2. I did parasail on our honeymoon in Mexico. My DH’s ride was perfect. He was grinning from ear to ear. Then it was my turn. I had to leave my glasses with him, which diminished the view, needless to say, but maybe not being able to see the sea below me wasn’t such a bad thing. The truly sporting part was when heavy storm clouds suddenly rolled in. There I was, like the key on Ben Franklin’s kite. All the while considering international law and conflict of law’s implications if I got struck by lighting. My dearest was repeatedly requesting that I get reeled in, but the guys running the boat didn’t speak English. Do not try this. 😂⚡️⚡️🫣😎

      Delete
    3. Granted, as a people, Americans are hyper-litigious, but I don't think some countries know what a liability law looks like. But thank you for providing such a vivid object lesson re: parasailing. Love your kite key analogy! Not happening for me in this lifetime.

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment and let's chat!