Monday, January 22, 2018

Day 1 Embarkation


The soul should always stand ajar, ready to welcome the ecstatic experience.
~ Emily Dickinson

Over 200 days of dreaming and planning and it's finally here. Even though I can look out our window in the Crowne Plaza and see the Pacific Princess tied up at the pier, I still hardly dare believe it. We'll be boarding this petite little lady around noon today. By cruise ship standards, she is quite small. While some of the big ships wallowing in the Caribbean carry 6000 passengers and half that many crew members, the PP will hold 684 passengers and 350 crew. This is the small floating village that will take us all the way around the world. 


I love her already.

This morning, I'm nearly giddy with excitement, so ready for our journey to begin. I've longed for a trip like this for years.

Travel is in my blood. Has been since I was quite small. When I was very young, my parents took me to visit a kind elderly lady named Mrs. Maxim. She didn't have any toys for me to play with, but she did have a marketing brochure for Disney Land for me to pore over. I was drawn into the pictures of the Tiki Room and the Jungle Ride and most especially Cinderella's Castle. It seemed a place filled with wonder and my childish heart dearly wanted to visit there.

It wasn't until I had children of my own that I made the trip. And when I first caught a glimpse of that magical castle, I began to cry. My DH  and daughters were alarmed, wondering what could be wrong. There was nothing wrong, I told them. I was just living a dream I'd almost forgotten I'd had and it was so beautiful, the pent-up happiness leaked out my eyes. 

I'm feeling like that again today. My soul stands ajar. I'm ready for an ecstatic experience.

Let the adventure begin...
~~~

Have you signed up to Follow by Email yet? Put your email addie in the form in the upper right hand column and come along for the ride!


May 7, 2018--I'm home now and I'm "enhancing" my blog entries with more photos and remembrances. All newer info will be in Green and in a different font

Yes, that's the DH behind that moveable mountain of baggage. Next time we take a world cruise we've promised each other we'll pare down our packing to one large suitcase, and one carry-on a piece. (Yeah,  right...)

We had no idea we'd meet two couples who would become very important to us over the next few months on the shuttle bus that took us to the pier! Believe it or not, we first encountered Kristy & David, and Shirley & David (I swear every other man on the Pacific Princess was named David!) before we even left the Crowne Plaza Hotel! 


Kristy and David, pictured above, became our trivia partners, fellow star-gazers (David is the expert! He knows where all  the constellations are.) fellow choir member (Kristi) and all-round best buds!


Shirley and David, right, were our table mates at Table 60. That very first night, Shirley said she just had to find this blogger she'd been following since they booked the cruise, only she'd lost the site of the blog on her computer. It turns out, she was looking for ME! 


The friends we made on this trip are a wonderful blessing. 


Anyway, for those of you who read travel blogs to learn about the ins and outs of cruising, our embarkation was quick and painless and before we knew it, we were on board the lovely little ship that would be our home for the next three months. We went immediately to the Club dining room for lunch. Some cruisers think the buffet is the only option on embarkation day, but it's always worthwhile to check the main dining venue to see if your pampering can begin early!


We enjoyed the sail-away from our own starboard balcony, cruising past the USS Iowa on our way out of the harbor. If we had arrived in LA around 1PM, as we were supposed to before the flight got changed, we'd have gone to visit this decommissioned battleship. Note to self: Next time, try to plan to arrive early enough in our embarkation port to take in some of the sights!

19 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful trip! Thank you for taking us along! A request.... Along with pictures of the exciting ports you visit could you also post some pictures, and your thoughts, of the ship and activities? I hope to do a RTW cruise and think of the ship as part of the destination.

    Thanks again, and Bon Voyage!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy for you! I've been thinking about an around the world cruise for a couple of years, but now I'm seriously thinking about actually doing it when my wife retires. I figure I'll have to book at least a year to a year and a half in advance and she has some career choices coming up in the next couple of years that might impact on what we decide to do.

    I'm looking forward to traveling along with you from my winter-swept home in Pennsylvania as you take in the sights on this voyage of a life-time. Have an amazing trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Videophile. I thought we wouldn't be able to swing this trip until 2021, but everything sort of clicked for us now. Have fun planning and dreaming.It's so worth it! Good luck to you and your wife.

      Delete
  3. I remember I could barely stand still on embarkation day last year. It’s going to be nice to have a chance to travel along with you. Bon Voyage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did cry while we were in line to board the PP. I took a deep breath and don't think I exhaled until our card was scanned for the last time and we finally stepped onto the ship!

      Delete
  4. Like reading a novel - can’t wait to ride along, exciting, Rose ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMGosh! That makes me the heroine! I've written plenty of them. Now I get to live it out!

      Delete
  5. My love of travel didn't begin until I was older, but like you, it began with a Disney travel guide. My MIL gave us the book and a very large check for Christmas with a note that said "take my grandkids to Disney." This was in 1997. I read the Disney book from cover to cover and then discovered the wealth of information on the internet and from that point on, I was hooked!

    I am following several different world cruise blogs, but I am most looking forward to yours! I know you have had various hurdles to overcome to make this happen and I am so excited for you! I love your writing style and the details you have been sharing as you prepared to travel.

    Wishing you a trip of a lifetime full of adventure and wonderful memories. Bon Voyage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh,Mary.Thanks so much. I'll try to make my descriptions vivid enough for you to live this trip with me. ;-)

      Delete
  6. I am so excited to follow along on your travels, maybe not as excited as you, but excited nevertheless as you sail around the world. It will be several years yet before I can embark on my own world cruise, but I'm determined to go. Till then, I'm starting to plan and will continue to dream. Someday, I'll follow in your wake; for now, I'm avidly following your blog.

    Bon voyage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming along for the ride, Donna. And dream big! It can happen.

      Delete
  7. We are so happy for you ! You will enjoy your trip so much. We will look forward to hearing about everything you are doing along the way. love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're happy too. REally enjoying this great escape. Love you too!

      Delete
  8. Enjoy every new adventure, taste and experience! Like Erin's blog I'll be eagerly awaiting each new posting. Thank you for spending the time and energy to take us along with you. Someday when I'm all grown up and retired we can do our own ATW cruise as well. Bon Voyage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's time for me to get dressed for dinner. And thanks for the "taste" reminder. I'll try to share some pictures of the beautiful meals.

      Delete
  9. LJ 2015 World CruiseJanuary 25, 2018 at 2:51 PM

    Thank you for "taking" us on your World Cruise....so I can enjoy and relive my memories of our Pacific Princess 2015 World Cruise. If possible, I would go again in a heartbeat!
    BON VOYAGE....
    ps: I sent a message previously, but did something wrong, as it has not appeared...hopefully, this one works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for trying again, LJ. I'm glad you're armchair traveling with me.

      For all who are following by email, please remember that you can't comment from the post in your inbox. You'll have to click on the title of the post which will take you to the RoundTheWorldWriter blog where you can add your comments! I love to hear from YOU!

      Delete
  10. We are booked for 2020. Still very confused about vaccines. What did you do ? And what do we HAVE to do?

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment and let's chat!