Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Day 10 ~ A Day of Missed Opportunities

A journey is like marriage. The certain way to be wrong is to think you control it. 
~ John Steinbeck

Actually the missed opportunities started last night. Remember I told you we hoped to participate in something excitingly astronomical?  A full lunar eclipse was supposed to happen between 1:00 a.m. and 3:00 a.m. The ship was going to turn off the lights on the forward top deck (Deck 11) and set out lounges for those who wanted to go up and wait for it.

We decided to sleep comfortably in our cabin and then make our way up when the time came. The DH’s phone alarm went off at 12:45 a.m. and he stepped out onto the balcony to see if we were on the right side of the ship to view the celestial event from there. 

Unfortunately, no side would be the right side. The sky was completely overcast and it was raining buckets.  

The DH didn’t bother to wake me. He knew that even if we wanted to brave the rain on the off chance that the clouds would part in time, I can’t take Herkimer (my portable oxygen concentrator) into a downpour. It might short out and that is trouble I don’t want to deal with out here in the middle of the Pacific. 

As it turned out, the heavens did open up just as the moon was totally covered and those hardy souls who stayed up till 3 were treated to a dazzling display of the Milky Way and even a few shooting stars.

But when we woke at 5, we did have a splendid view from our balcony of the full moon spilling light across a calm ocean.

As I was drinking my morning coffee and reading the daily Princess Patter for the schedule of activities, I saw that the Book Club was meeting at 3:00 PM to discuss Little Fires Everywhere and then turn the book in. Yikes! I had thought we had until the day before we reach Sydney to read it, so I dived head first into the book, only coming up for Trivia (our team won again!!!), choir practice, and meals... 

We even skipped the Merengue dance lessons I’d wanted to take. During the Captain’s Cocktail Party last night, the DH & I found a quiet corner on the dance floor and were able to do a basic waltz (always careful to stay within the 7 foot arc of my cannula!). I thought the Merengue might be another dance we could do since it involves 8 steps one way and then 8 steps back. Very simple, but it gives me a chance to dance with the DH and that makes me so happy I could cry.

But instead, I pressed on, reading the book, which is quite nuanced and engaging. Since I’m a writer, I often find it hard to turn off my inner editor and end up questioning choices other authors make. I had no trouble with Little Fires Everywhere. It was so well written it made me forget that I’m a writer too. However, I still hadn’t finished it when 3 o’clock rolled around.

As it turned out, I needn’t have worried. Everyone else thought we had until Sydney, too. So we all agreed to finish to the book and reconvene somewhere in the Tasman Sea.  

Tonight after supper, there’s another stargazing session on the upper deck. There won’t be an eclipse, of course, but our familiar northern stars are beginning to slip away from us and new ones are rising on the southern horizon. We’ll try again. But the way this day has gone tells me not to expect things to go to plan. And maybe that’s okay.

In fact, the DH confesses that he likes days with less planned activities. Sometimes, just being is better than doing

May 29th Update: Since we didn't take many pictures on sea days, I thought I'd share a couple more from Hawaii. The first is a pilot boat maneuvering alongside to pick up the pilot once we're out of the harbor.  In some cases, this is fair distance from the land because there are underwater reefs and shoals, local shipping lanes and fishing boats schedules to avoid. No matter who the pilot is, the Princess bridge crew is ultimately responsible and won't let anyone get crazy with speed or turns.


Watching the pilot leap from the moving cruise ship onto the deck of this small vessel was always exciting. I guess use is everything and eventually the pilot gets accustomed to making that "big step," but I found myself wondering how he/she felt the first time they had to do it! 

The first of many sail-aways. Not many were at night. Aloha, Hawaii! I hope to see you again...

8 comments:

  1. I'm loving your daily reports. Makes me feel like I'm right there with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my goal! BTW, I'm enjoying your Irish Hearts.

      Delete
  2. I completely spaced out the lunar eclipse and blood moon. Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guess we can't see everything no matter how hard we try!

      Delete
  3. Dad woke me up & we saw the fabulous blood moon! It hasn`t happened for at least 150 years ! You two are having so much fun, wish I was a little person in your pocket! We missed you at choir last night Diana, Dave said just because our BIG voice is not here but somewhere in the Pacific You women need to step up & use your big girl`s voices! We did sound better after that. Dad drove Rachael & I to choir. She is doing good, she said her messages were not going out to you, but she loves you both. We love you too !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you too, Mom. Glad we're missed in choir. I miss our choir too. This one is fun, but it's not the same.

      Delete
  4. LJ 2015 World CruiseFebruary 1, 2018 at 11:52 PM

    Thank you for your blogs and pics! Lovely "sunnies" as sunglasses are referred to in N.Z.
    We had an overnight in Dubai and a passenger collapsed and died when he came back on board. Princess was very helpful to the wife.
    Your DH thinks like we do...days with less planned activities. We just can't get enough of the sea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing is sometimes exactly the right thing to do.

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment and let's chat!