Saturday, January 20, 2018

Almost time...

"Pilgrimage demands preparation. There is much letting go that needs to happen. Packing bags means we need to discern what to carry with us and what to leave behind. This is one of the great gifts of pilgrimage; an invitation to discern what is essential." 

~The Soul of a Pilgrim: Eight Practices for the Journey Within by Christine Valters Paintner, PhD (shared with me by #1 Daughter)


This was the view from my laundry room when we left home for the DH's brother's funeral.


Fortunately, the roads were all clear and dry. We were able to pick up #1 Daughter and make the ten hour trip to Waukon, Iowa with no trouble.

Waukon is a charming little place with neat, well-kept houses, lovely churches and thriving local businesses. We had breakfast in the S&D Cafe, a typical, homestyle cooking diner. As we walked in, I could see the locals take our measure and decide instantly that we "weren't from around here." Then they looked closely at my DH and recognized his strong resemblance to the much-loved Lutheran pastor who'd died so unexpectedly. Several strangers came up to offer their condolences.

St. John's Lutheran

We wept together in a standing room only service. All the DH's surviving siblings (he's the youngest of eight!) were there along with their spouses, cousins,nieces and nephews. The whole town seemed to be in mourning. 

Then after the service, the Lutheran ladies served lunch for everyone, and it turned into a mini-family reunion. Everyone always says we need to not wait for sadness to draw us together, but it's easier to give in to the tyranny of our every day lives than to make time for extended family. When I get home from the cruise, I need to think about how to organize something that will cause us to gather for fun and to make some new memories. If I've learned anything from Lynn's sudden death it's that even the most ordinary day with those you love is extraordinary enough.


We stayed at #1 Daughter & Daughter-in- Law's house last night, played with the granddogs, and watched a hysterical Midwestern comedienne named Kathleen Madigan. Laughter is the best medicine they say, & the doctor was in the house.  Madigan has the Wisconsin accent nailed.

Then this morning we had a leisurely breakfast at The Coffee Zone where I had the Arabic Plate--Greek yogurt, olives, warm pita, falafel, feta cheese, onions and hot peppers. I'm starting my culinary adventures early! 


The DH before he loaded the truck on Thursday.
We had a lovely day in Columbia and now are in our hotel room in St. Louis, waiting to go wheel's up tomorrow and wing our way to LA!

That is, if with all the stuff we're taking, the plane can get off the ground.

Somehow or other, I managed to pack everything on my Master Packing List and then some! We're checking 4 large suitcases, none of which exceed the weight limit. (We know because we weighed them!) We each have a 20X14X9 carry on. The DH will be carrying my 2nd oxygen concentrator in a backpack. (Is he a keeper, or what?) I'll have Herkimer #1 in his roller cart & my bipap in a shoulder bag. 

There's only one more night before we board the Pacific Princess, and we'll spend that at the Crown Plaza in LA. 

(In case you're wondering about the discrepancy in my cruise counter at the bottom of this blog, I've realized that I must have set it up to countdown to the flight to the cruise port instead of the day we actually embark. One of my many mistakes in planning, no doubt...) 

7 comments:

  1. Glad you were all together and the town was able to celebrate him with you. Safe travels, see you soon!

    Kristy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You, too, Kristy! After planning and dreaming for so many months, the trip is now rushing toward us like a freight train, isn't it? Safe travels to you & Dave too.

      Delete
  2. So close now! I've been following your blog for a few months and wanted to wish you well. Such sad news about your brother in law and a timely reminder to grasp each day we have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming along with me on this journey, ggjoka! And for those kind words. I'm coming to believe that if we all remembered that we're just dust and our time is limited, we'd treat each other much better and would look for ways to find joy in every day.

      Delete
  3. As you can post often for those of us stuck on land. Thanks for taking us with you.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for allowing me to enjoy your journey. I love receiving your updates. I'm so excited for you and this world cruise. I went back and reread all the previous post again. I can't remember if you told us or not. Why are you doing 94 days getting off in Florida instead of the 111 days ending back at the beginning in LA?
    PS - I wish your Mom & Dad were going too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are happy you were able to go to the funeral. Sorry this happens just before your departure. Love you both

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment and let's chat!