Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Another Country Heard From...

“In life, it’s not where you go, it’s who you travel with” –  Charles Schulz
The best part of going on a world cruise is that I get to do it with the man who's the love of my life. We celebrated 41 years of marriage this year and he still knows how to show a girl a good time. 

He's as excited about this adventure as I am, but since he's of Norwegian heritage, you'll never see him hopping up and down about it. So how do I know he's excited? 

He keeps a journal online. Normally it's private. Only a few people (of whom I am chief!) get to read it. He said it would be okay for me to share part of his latest entry with you since I figured you might enjoy getting to know my better half.  

So here's a little musing about cruising from Mr. RoundTheWorldWriter:


About the World Cruise
The Dear Wife has already started her blog called "Round the World Writer".  She is starting to make lists of what we need to take, and what needs to be done.

We thought about renting a car and driving to the ports, but finally decided to fly to LAX using the Princess fares.  We were able to get First Class tickets both ways for a little over $800 a piece.  This will allow each of us to check 2 bags without a fee, and the bags can weigh up to 70 pounds without penalty.  

Plus in First Class, we know that there will be power to the seats so DW can keep her O2 concentrator plugged in.  The flights depart and arrive in STL, so we will drive up to Columbia the night before, and #1 Daughter can drive us over to the airport.  That way she will have use of the van while we are cruising.  And #2 Daughter, who'll be keeping the home fires burning, will have the whole garage to herself!

I booked our stay near the cruise port today using points from my AOPA card.  We will be at the Crowne Plaza which is a 5 minute cab ride from the port.  DW said several other cruisers on the Cruise Critique roll call she's on have said that they will be staying there the night before as well, so we may try to connect with them the night before.

I got my passport back in the mail today! I'm glad to have it back again so quickly.  Now we can start talking with the Indian Consulate in Atlanta about getting Visas.  

DW went through the itinerary, and picked out excursions she'd like to take. These all look like they are going to be fun.  I am really surprised by how reasonable most of the excursions are.  Like the "Top of the Rock" on Gibraltar, that sounds like a really fun day. The excursion that is not on here is the Vatican Tour that we have already purchased.  I am looking forward to seeing the Sistine Chapel and the restored ceiling. 

We started going through my casual clothes (polo's, t-shirts, shorts and casual slacks) to see if there are any "holes" in my cruise wardrobe.  When I went through to eliminate any worn polo shirts I realized that all of my better ones are some shade of grey.  I need to get some that are more colorful..

Things are moving forward!  It is exciting to see everything getting done!

~~~

And that's all the man has to say about that!
For now, at least...
I may draft him for more posts as we go forward.

4 comments:

  1. When we did our first Antarctica cruise in 2007, I asked hubby to give me just one sentence each day ... any more than that I knew I wouldn't get. Guess what? I didn't get that sentence either ... he's just not into writing. Period. End of discussion. I enjoyed reading your husband's point of view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some guys aren't into words. Norwegians are famous for it, but I've been training mine for a while now. He's getting better about it. Early in our marriage we went to a relationship enrichment weekend where we had to write down our feelings and share them. He told me flat out that he didn't HAVE feelings. Silly man. He had them. He just didn't know how to recognize and name them. ;-)

      Delete
    2. BTW, Antartcia, wow! That must have been a wonderful trip!

      Delete
    3. It was a terrific trip. We've been twice now, and I could go back again and again.

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment and let's chat!