Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Trying Not to be an Ugly American

“Please be a traveler, not a tourist. Try new things, meet new people, and look beyond what’s right in front of you. Those are the keys to understanding this amazing world we live in.”
~ Andrew Zimmern

I love my country. Every time we've traveled abroad, I've had a wonderful, enriching time, but I still felt a sense of relief when the wheels touch down on American soil. The U.S.A. has its share of problems, but we have also been incredibly blessed. It's home.

Don't get me wrong. I'm fascinated by other cultures. It's the old urge to peek over the neighbor's fence. I want to understand how people in other countries think, how they live and worship and work and raise their families. And I've traveled enough to realize they don't care how we do it here. What they have works for them and it's not my job to mess with that. I'm a guest in their country, which means while I'm there, I'll play by their rules.


We've felt incredibly welcome everywhere we've gone, but there have been times when I failed to be a good ambassador of the US. Like when we were in Tokyo and I didn't learn until the second day that it was rude of me to accept a card from someone with only one hand. When I fixed my faux pas, I was rewarded with a shy smile from the concierge at our hotel. And maybe she realized this American didn't intend to cause offense.

So while we're on our RoundTheWorld cruise, my goal is to learn enough about each of the places we'll visit so that I will be a traveler instead of a tourist. Here are a few things I will NOT be doing:


  1. Dressing in ways that are offensive to the culture I'm visiting.  If I'm visiting a holy site, I'll  wear long pants instead of capris. My necklines will be modest. A sarong wrapped around my waist may be required for entrance into some temples. I plan to take a number of  scarves so I can cover my head as needed. I don't need to share someone else's beliefs in order to show respect for those beliefs.
  2. Flashing a lot of cash or wearing a lot of jewelry.  There's no need to tempt someone. I'll leave my rings on the ship. Between my DH and myself, we'll have a couple of different places on our persons where we'll keep small amounts of local currency. 
  3. Expecting to find American food and conveniences everywhere we go. Honestly, I read the blog of one world cruiser who took the same excursion in every port. They went in search of margarita pizza and beer. In. Every. Port.  
  4. Violating the law of the country we're visiting. It's against the law to feed pigeons in Singapore. No joke. Tossing the remains of a sandwich to the feathered rats could net us a $500 fine! We will be on our best behavior abroad.
  5. Not learning a few local phrases. I hope to return home knowing how to say "Hello," "Please," and "Thank you," in the language of every country we visit. It's not much, but at least I won't assume the people I meet can understand English as ...long ...as ...I ...speak...it...very...slowly.
I won't forget that I am the face of my country when I travel, and may well be the only American some people will ever meet. My goal is to be inquisitive but respectful, friendly but not pushy, and unfailingly polite.

And I'll tip well everywhere I go. I still remember the response I got from our guide in Bora Bora last year after we gave him considerably more than he asked for our tour. He promoted me to the status of "Queen" in his effusive praise. Guess I seriously over-tipped him, but I'm not sorry. 

Why shouldn't I hold what God has given me with an open hand?

~~~
Dad and Charlie
Happy Independence Day! 

We'll be celebrating the 4th of July with family and friends at our home. We'll have an All-American cook-out, card games and celebrate my dad's 82nd birthday! He says he never remembers having a birthday as a kid where he didn't also have burned fingers. 

If your family celebrates with fireworks, stay safe out there! My daughters complain that I used to make them wear oven mitts when they did sparklers. Maybe, but they both still have ten lovely fingers! 

6 comments:

  1. Ooh, Tokyo! I'll be going for the first time in August. I'm so looking forward to it! I already know how to say 'good day', 'thank you' and 'excuse me', but I hope to learn more -- chances are I'll really use much of the Japanese I have! I won't be tipping though -- apparently that is really foreign and confusing to Japanese people, to the point of them following you around to give you back the excess money you paid :).

    And happy birthday to your dad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nynke. I'm truly blessed to have both my parents in my life.

      About tipping in Tokyo, you're right. It's not the done thing. But scrupulous honesty seems to be. If I wasn't sure about which coins would pay my bill, I could hold out a handful and the merchant would take only what was needed to satisfy the amount owed. That's not something you can do everywhere. Have a wonderful time. I want to see pictures!

      Delete
  2. Don't forget to flush the toilet in Singapore ... that too garners a SN $500 fine ;-) Seriously though, these are all great tips ... unfortunately all too many people don't even think about them. We may not agree with the ways of life in another country, but as you say, we are guests there, and it is not our role to try and change their ways or speak out against it in a manner that is offensive. As for learning a few words of whatever language is spoken in a foreign country ... I can't even begin to say how many times a frown has been turned into a smile by greeting someone in their own language ... mangled pronunciation and all. It's the effort that counts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand chewing gum is also frowned upon.

      Another thing I have a problem with is haggling while shopping. First of all, I'm not a shopper by nature, but if I do, it seems kind of repugnant to me about offering less than is asked. I know it's the custom in a lot of places we'll visit. Somehow I don't think I'll offend anyone if I skip this custom and pay full price.

      Delete
  3. Actually, since haggling is expected, the vendors are confused if you don't ... especially since they have already upped the price to account for the haggling. We are not shoppers either -- no room in the motorhome. When we do pick up a little trinket, our solution is to not try to get the item for rock bottom. Just drop it a little to make everyone happy. It's a social occasion -- my husband turns it into a fun time with lots of laughter and camaraderie ... so much so that the vendor often throws a little gift in to seal the deal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, I'll try that. My daughters have already put in requests for a few things here and there. I'll offer just a little less then. I don't want to offend someone who may have made the item. Thanks for the advice.

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment and let's chat!