Friday, October 6, 2017

Alaska Day 6--Ketchikan

No matter how  bad it gets, I'm always rich at the dollar store.
~Anonymous

Everything changes. When we cruised to Alaska with my parents ten years ago, I recall Ketchikan as a motley collection of little shops offering end of season bargains. For an essentially seasonal town, it has been built up considerably in the last ten years. 

Admittedly, I’m not much of a shopper. In fact, I despise it utterly. Whip me, beat me, don't make me shop!

However, I am a buyer when I have to be. Today is designated as our "shopping for loved ones day" and Ketchikan seems to be the right place to do it.

Of course, you have to look carefully or you'll end up buying Alaskan souvenirs made in China. But there are bargains to be had. I was very pleased with the fleece lined jacket I bought for only $29.99!    

After spending a while in a gallery that featured native artists--alas! they requested that no pictures be taken!--we headed back to the Eurodam. On the way, we encountered this bewildering sign. 



If it's risky to use, why call it a safety ladder? 

I'm always befuddled when words don't seem to mean what I think they should.


We returned to the ship soon enough to catch a performance of Atlys, a delightful string quartet joined by a fabulous pianist and arranger. They are terrific musicians and we've enjoyed all week. Sometimes, their jazz was a little too boozy in the pitch department for me, but their rendition of Copeland's Appalachian Spring made me weep. 

Entertainment like this is what sets Holland America apart from the other lines in the Carnival family. They understand their guests well enough to offer us some truly outstanding artists. I just wish they'd played in a larger venue because it was always packed.

We have one more day on our journey. A week is scarcely time enough to get unpacked. This trip has made me doubly excited about our 94 day voyage that starts next January. We'll be thinking of the Pacific Princess as our home away from home in no time!

 ~~~

Want my posts to come to your inbox? Sign up to Follow by Email in the little form under my pic in the right hand column. Just type in your email address. You may have prove you're not a robot and then confirm your subscription when you get an email asking if you really meant to sign up, but after that, you'll never miss a moment of our adventures!

2 comments:

  1. What I remember most from our Ketchikan visit in 2001 is how soaked we got walking down the Married Man's Trail ... our raingear simply wasn't up to protecting us in the sudden deluge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Temperate Rainforest. That means rain, and lots of it. However, I'll match up the "frog-strangling" rain we get here in the Ozarks with your Ketchikan deluge all day. We keep umbrellas in the vehicles at all times, just in case!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment and let's chat!