Friday, October 20, 2017

Sister Act

For my dear sisters, Cindy, Linda  and Jennifer,
keepers of my secrets and my forever friends.
(I’m not too worried about the secrets bit.  I’ve got enough on them to make this a mutually assured destruction pact!)
~ from the dedication page of my novel A Coldwater Warm Hearts Wedding


I'm blessed to have three younger sisters, but because we live in different states, we don't get to see each other that often. This was a banner year. I've been able to see them all. Earlier this spring, the DH and I took my parents to Texas to see Jennifer after her successful surgery. And on this trip I was able to bookend our camping with sisters--Linda in South Dakota on the way out and Cindy in Nebraska on the way back.

With moves and jobs and one thing or another, Cindy and I hadn't been together since our niece's wedding. And our niece is now the mother of two little boys! One thing is for sure. We won't let so many years go by before we see each other again. Time is just too precious.


In so many ways, my sister has not changed. She's still incredibly witty and fun to be with. Not to mention beautiful. Honestly, can you believe that gorgeous face belongs to a grandmother? 

She and her husband have lived in almost as many states as we--Montana, Missouri, Wyoming, Illinois, New York, Ohio. (Guess we do have them beat. Our count is nine!) Since my brother-in-law has retired,  they bought a lovely little farm in western Nebraska. They are country people at heart and love being close to nature.



When we arrived on September 26th, my brother-in- law welcomed us with his signature grilled chicken. I don't know what he does to it, but it's seriously delicious.

Every night (we stayed for 3!) he treated us to a new grilled delight.



Here's his recipe for a terrific & easy crab dip:

Cream Cheese, 8 oz

In a separate bowl:
2  cans crab meat
2 tsp horse radish
Ketchup to taste

Pour mixture over the cheese & break out the crackers!  


They keep a big flock of chickens, including a breed called Whiting Blues, which actually lay light blue eggs.


They're raising a steer they've named Crowbar. He's half Holstein so my brother-in-law says he'll  top out at 1600 pounds.  Crowbar has an inter-species friendship going  with Banjo, their loveable goofball of  a German short-haired pointer. 


Their place has a bit of history to it, as you can see from this sign that marks the confluence of three important trails heading west.

If I half-closed my eyes in the twilight, I could see a long string of Conestoga wagons moving along the trail that follows the curves and oxbows of the Platte River. Or a single courrier, riding hell-for-leather with the precious mail pouch in his saddle bag.



We spent some lovely evenings on their covered deck. My sister and her hubby are wonderful hosts.


Since buying the place, they've made lots of improvements.  My brother-in-law put this sturdy fence in himself.  All their neighbors thank him. It looks wonderful.


Then there are some things that need no improvement. I snapped a pic of this sunrise from a bedroom window. We've seen some majestic, grand sights on this trip. Sometimes, though, I think I underestimate the quiet loveliness of the heartland.

On September 29th, we rose early and pointed our noses east. Our homing  beacon was flashing pretty brightly so we burned through more than 700 miles to sleep in our own bed. All told we drove over 5000 miles, not counting the nautical miles we logged on board the Eurodam. We had a lovely time.

But I am glad to be home for a while. After all, we have so much to do to get ready for our big trip next January!

PS. A quick update on our friends, Joy and Mike. They took a different route going to and coming from Seattle. On the way out, they hit Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone, and visited friends in Oregon.  On the way home, they saw Yosemite, and the Grand Canyon. Unfortunately, in La Junta, CO, they had a car accident. Fortunately, only the car got hurt, but it was banged up pretty bad. Mike ended up having to rent a car and drive home by himself because he had to be back, while Joy stayed long enough for their car to be repaired before driving home solo. She says of her trip back that she can trust God, but her GPS's directions must be viewed with suspicion. Anyway, we're thankful they're both home safe and sound, too.

And that they'd go cruising again!

~~~
Want my posts to come to your inbox? Sign up to Follow by Email in the little form under my pic in the right hand column. Just type in your email address. You may have prove you're not a robot and then confirm your subscription when you get an email asking if you really meant to sign up, but after that, you'll never miss a moment of our adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment and let's chat!