Friday, December 1, 2017

Goin' Glam

“We must never confuse elegance with snobbery.” 
— Yves Saint Laurent

When the DH retired at the beginning of 2015, we took a two week Caribbean cruise to celebrate. People watching is always fun and there was one pair of sisters traveling together who made for good watching. Even though they weren't twins, every day they wore a different identical outfit. They told me they'd gone on a special shopping binge just for that cruise so they could match all the time.

The DH and I won't be trying to match quite that exactly, but we do need to have cruise wardrobes that work together. This is especially true when it comes to formal wear. 

Men have it so easy. If you've been following my blog, you know we splurged and bought the DH his first ever tux in preparation for this cruise! He looks terrific in it and he has a red vest and tie he can wear to change his look a bit. He'll probably also pack his dark 3 piece suit, a summer weight light colored suit, a couple of blazers, dress slacks and a smattering of ties to give him a number of options.  

Mix and match dressing for women doesn't always read so well when you're trying to go formal. But I've put together a few pieces I'm pleased with. Here's my black formal capsule:




The foundational garment is a long sleeveless black gown, which I pair with either the purple & green pashmina/wrap or one of the two jackets. I have an additional red and black pashmina I can throw into the mix. And for a change, I'll be packing black palazzo pants and a fancy black shell to replace the dress.

Next, we move on to what I call my gray scale formal capsule: Gray sparkly palazzos topped with the gray beaded tunic, or a purple shell & lavender sequinned jacket, or the grey cowl-neck thing that looks like a sweatshirt in this photo, but is actually actually shot through with silver threads. 




Then since we'll be spending a good bit of our world cruise in warmer climes, I thought I'd throw in this island-ish ensemble: Navy dress pants, green camisole, and navy/aqua float.




Of course, I'll have the right jewelry to go with each outfit. My mom, who's the queen of sparkle, would disown me if I didn't. In fact, she's already volunteered to let me borrow a few of her "pretties." 

I'm not sure how many formal nights we'll have, but I can wear some of these outfits for regular evenings, too. As Mom says, "It's better to be over dressed than under dressed."


How about you? Do you enjoy dressing up? Or do you prefer to be casual, but not rumpled?
~~~
Want my posts to come to your inbox? Sign up to Follow by Email in the little form under my pic in the right hand column. Just type in your email address. You may have prove you're not a robot and then confirm your subscription when you get an email asking if you really meant to sign up, but after that, you'll never miss a moment of our adventures!

6 comments:

  1. Looks like your formal wear is coming along nicely. Our days of dressing formal on cruises is long past. Luckily for us, Oceania has the same country club chic dress code for every evening, so I didn't have to invest in any new pieces for our RTW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We first decided to get the DH a tux because we were planning a trip to Norway on Cunard for 2018. We ended up cancelling it to do this WC, but we still got the tux. It's fun to dress up a bit sometimes, but I do like the fact that on Princess, we can run back to the room and change into sluvvies to go to the show if we're tired of puttin' on the Ritz!

      Delete
  2. Oh, my!! I LOVE your tops!! I have been trying to find some new tops, but have been having trouble finding them. Where did you find these? I NEED to go shopping! (Don't tell David I said that...)

    Kristy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your secrets are safe with me, Kristy. ;-)

      The red sequinned jacket and it's lavender twin are from Goody's (a division of Stage stores we have here in MO). The others were from Lane Bryant (yep, I'm a large economy size sort of gal!) or Catherine's. I purchased the purple pashmina/caftan type thing at a writers' conference years ago. The aqua/navy float came from an Avenue store in Corpus Christi. My mom gave me the black and gold jacket. I have no idea where she found it.

      Delete
  3. Thanks! I was just telling David about your tops and told him I was going to go shopping again! I'm hoping the stores will have some special things out for the holidays and New Year's Eve as I couldn't find anything 'fancy' last time I went shopping. There is a Catherine's down the hill and I'll have to look for Lane Bryant as they closed the one near me, maybe I'll look online. I have a few, but they are getting older and it would be fun to have something new. ;)
    Kristy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This amuses me. My mom will never believe her "Anti-Shopper" daughter has actually inspired someone to go shopping. Color me astounded!

      Can't wait to meet you & Dave in LA!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment and let's chat!