Monday, February 5, 2018

Day 15 ~ “Bulla” (Hello!) from Suva, Fiji

"We humans are still a very primitive culture." ~ Ru Paul

To all my friends and family back in the States: Hello from the future! It’s Feb 6th here, and according to my computer, which I haven’t reset, it’s the 5th where you are. It’s also 82 degrees with matching humidity here in Fiji, so if there’s snow on the ground at your location, O! be joyful!

We put in to Suva at 8:00 this morning and will sail away at 4:45pm. But in the meantime, we went on the first of many Princess-arranged excursions. On a previous post, I discussed why we’re sticking with mostly ship’s excursions. If, heaven forbid, we were delayed in returning from a Princess excursions, the Pacific Princess will wait for us. If we’re on our own, they may not. I know it’s cheaper to go independent, but for me, the peace of mind is worth the extra dollars. Today we were bound for an Island Drive, the Fiji Arts Center and a Firewalkers demonstration.

A Fine Young Cannibal

But first, a little about how we prepare for an outing off the ship. I pack my little go-bag. As you can see, I bring a couple of umbrellas, which we use rain or shine, my battery operated fan, my glasses case so I can switch from sunglasses if we’re inside for a while, a plastic bag with a few wet wipes (good for a quick cool down or anytime a restroom isn’t fully equipped) and in that blue plastic zipper bag I toss in any pills we might need to take while we’re gone (I’m scheduled for a different set of meds 6 different times a day plus I bring something for headaches just in case.) We slathered up with sun screen before we left the ship and if we were expecting mosquitoes, I’d have added my Off wipes. The go-bag is also handy for carrying purchases.


Then the DH gets Herkimer 2 ready to travel in a backpack. Along with my O2 concentrator, he carries spare batteries, a rain jacket he can slip on (mostly to protect Herkimer—Norwegians are impervious to dampness) and water for both of us. He also wears a money belt under his shirt with our ship’s cards, passports and a little folding money in case we want to buy something.


Herkimer 2 is heavy, especially when loaded down with extra batteries and water. When it’s operating, it rumbles and produces quite a bit of heat (as if we needed more of that today.) But the DH never complains about carrying it. He even jokes about getting a back massage out of the deal. However, this morning it really hit me hard what a kind and loving thing he’s doing for me.  I still wished with all my heart I didn’t need this extra help. I don’t want to be a burden.

I’m afraid I started to tear up. And when the DH asked what was wrong, the water works turned on full blast.

Then after I explained what I was feeling, the DH said (in his best imitation of Tom Hanks in A League of Their Own), “There’s no crying on a world cruise!”

He’s right, of course. No matter how I’m getting along, I’m still getting, still going, still doing. That should be enough. Especially when he tells me he’s just glad to have me with him no matter what sort of medical devices he needs to lug around.

Did I win the husband lottery or what?

And I fear I got a bit sidetracked on this post and have waffled on without telling you much about Fiji (and there’s plenty to tell!) but when I look back on this voyage someday I want to remember not only what I was doing, but how I was feeling as well.

And right now, I feel grateful and blessed and loved.


Tomorrow is a sea day and I promise to give you Fiji Part Two then!

Update 12/05/2018: Just wanted to share a little moment here in case I didn't elsewhere in this blog. Once when the DH was carrying Herkimer2, a  fellow who was standing behind him in the elevator reached out and lifted it off his back, just to see how heavy it actually is. 

"Slow your roll there," he told my DH. "You're makin' the rest of us look bad."

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you two both won the spouse lottery! It's wonderful that you appreciate him, and he is obviously glad that you're still able to get around and go on a world cruise. Hope you both get to do this trip again in a couple of years!

    I also had to laugh at your Tom Hanks quote. I'm a retail options trader (meaning I work for myself, as opposed to a firm) and when traders get together we always start to complain about things that didn't work out the way we wanted. Eventually someone always says "There's no crying in trading!" and that usually stops the grumbling. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always useful to be able to do a Tom Hanks impression!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you are having a great time & really appreciating one another! You both deserve this time together! On a sad note Mike`s Mom Betty passed away, thought you would want to know Love you both so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've talked quite a bit about the 'still getting along, still doing, still going' thought since we've been home. We met so many people who inspired us by still going and doing, whether it was being slowed down by health issues or age. We couldn't keep up with many of the 80 year olds!! Sure beats my Grandmother's attitude of just sitting here waiting to die. We've had our own health issues since being back home, which helps us to treasure our trip even more than we had before. But, I'm sitting here thinking, where shall we go next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Kristy! And I continue to hope we'll see you and Dave on a ship sometime in the near future!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment and let's chat!