Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Day 34 ~ Sea Days Highjinks


“A line is a dot that has gone for a walk.” ~ Klee
(Klee was the answer to one of our  trivia questions. He was an artist who said he painted in order to keep from crying.)


On the evening of the sail away from Exmouth, I convinced the DH to enter the Princess version of “Dancing with the Stars.” Our cruise director Lynn was asking for 3 male volunteers and 3 female to dance with members of the crew from different departments.

It made perfect sense to me for the DH to do it. After all, until this cruise, the best gift the man ever gave me was ballroom dance lessons. We had 8 weeks of date nights and learned the basics of the waltz, foxtrot, swing, cha-cha, and rumba. We tried the tango, but couldn’t get past the “Tango face.” All we could do was giggle at each other whenever we attempted that smoldering glare. Anyway, over the years we enjoyed dancing together, but my lung condition makes that difficult now. However, there was nothing to stop the DH from giving it a go.

I was tickled to pieces when he was paired with Lynn. Since she started with Princess as a dancer, I figured that would give him a leg up, so to speak. However, the DH told me afterward that the first thing she said to him was “I hope I don’t embarrass you. I’m supposed to play this for laughs.”

She wasn’t kidding.

The first dance they had to perform was the jive. The DH started out great, but before he knew what was happening, Lynn told him to spread his legs. She dropped to all fours and crawled between his knees. The audience roared and the dance went downhill from there. 

Before the next dance, Lynn slipped back stage and came out with pink fuzzy slippers and a big hairpiece that made her look like a 1960’s country-western star. It was hysterical and I have tons of blackmail-worthy video, but I won’t be able to post it until we get home. It would take until we reach Dubai to upload. But here’s a pic of the DH and Lynn afterward.


It was all in good fun and several other passengers told us this was the funniest show they’d seen since they boarded the ship. The DH is quite notorious now, but he was pretty well known before—as the devoted husband who wears the backpack version of Herkimer for me when we go on excursions. Everyone thinks I’m a lucky girl.

I couldn’t agree more.


2 comments:

  1. Looks like that was a fun night! Happy you two took those dancing lessons! Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were talking to a fellow at lunch today who wanted his wife to take lessons with him here on the ship. She said okay as long as it didn't interfere with her bridge playing. He said he suspected she really objected to the fact that in dancing, the man leads.

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment and let's chat!