Saturday, July 6, 2019

The Hair I Wear

My mom will be horrified when she sees this post.

She's of the opinion that when a woman wears a wig, no one should be the wiser. If she paid for it, it's "her" hair. However, when someone tells me I got a good haircut, I feel obliged to 'fess up and admit I'm wearing someone else's good haircut. (Actually, my wigs are synthetic, but the comment always gets a laugh!)

And maybe that's why I do it. I'd rather laugh about the solution to my thinning hair than cry about it.

Elle by Jon Renau
Several of the meds I take to keep my lung condition stable cause hair loss as a side effect. (Just once, wouldn't it be nice if a prescription could result in effortless weight loss and thicker hair--on top of my head only, please! But I digress.) Anyway, I've reached the conclusion that if I can do something to change things that are making me feel sad about myself, I should do it.

I quickly realized there's no magic shampoo, no supplement that will make my hair luxuriously thick. If there was, there would be no bald billionaires. So I started experimenting with wigs and hairpieces. 

Joelle by Tony of Beverly
I've stayed close to the color of my bio-hair, which I like to call "Fifty Shades of Grey," just in case a stray strand or two slips out. But I've tried to vary the styles. The sleek "Elle" is good for daily wear. Longer, curlier "Joelle" will be my go-to hair for formal nights on the Queen Mary 2.

But what if it's just too hot to wear one of my long wigs? Not to worry. I have  couple "equator hair" options. (Incidentally, "equator hair" also works great for the heat and humidity of the Ozarks!)

"Tribble" Hair
One is a simple little scrunchie disguised as a hair piece. My bio-hair is quite long (read as long as the lovely Joelle, but of the same general consistency as cotton candy.) I can pile it up on top of my head, slip the scrunchie over my topknot and travel happily without fretting that the back of my airplane seat is frizzing up a wig. (And yes, I know. It looks like a Tribble, doesn't it? Trust me when I tell you it looks better on my head.)

Lastly, I'll be packing the curly, clip-on my sister Linda sent me. I featured it in Puttin' on the Ritz. It, too, will be good for warmish evenings.

All my wigs have to travel in a climate-controlled environment, which means they'll be in my carry-on. First, I'll bundle each one into its own hairnet. Then into a "breathable" zippered lingerie bag for each. And finally, they'll be nestled into an over-the-shoulder bag that will count as my personal item when we  fly.

The reason I share this solution to a rather personal problem is I figure I can't be the only one who has been unhappy with changes life throws at us. There are some things I simply have to accept with as much grace as I can muster. There are some things I can fight.

Consider the hair I wear as my personal rebellion. But I wish, when someone compliments my do, I could simply say, "Thank you."

What do you think? Tell or don't tell?

PS. In case anyone is considering looking for hair to wear, I bought mine from Cysterwigs.com.

PPS. Remember, if you'd like to be sure not to miss a moment of our upcoming adventure in Norway, please sign up to follow RoundTheWorldWriter by email using the sign up widget in the right hand column!


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing, as indeed I found your post very interesting (and surely other readers did as well). As far as whether or not to accept compliments on your hair, I would lean towards accepting of course! A lady gets complimented on her nails, which may be acrylic. A lady gets complimented on her bosom, which may include implants. A lady gets complimented of her eyes, which may have eyelash extensions, permanent eyeliner, and contacts. A lady gets complimented on her hair, which may have extensions (like 99% of ladies you see on the silver screen or TV) or include a wig. Does a lady need the body part being complimented to be made up of entirely her own biological cells in order to accept? Or is it that people take notice that a lady looks especially lovely regardless of how she has “put herself together”, and show their admiration, which the lady can accept. I think it is the latter. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment and let's chat!