Friday, April 30, 2021

All In!

"You can be taught so much, but the sense of anticipation cannot be taught."
~ Paulie Malignaggi 

2020 was filled with plans that didn't come to fruition--travel we didn't get to take, family and friends we couldn't hug and, most heartbreakingly, funerals we couldn't attend. I'm sure those things were true in your life, too. 

But things are beginning to be more normal in the Ozarks where we live. Our little town lifted its mask ordinance as of the end of March. When I was in Walmart yesterday, every chair in the Covid-19 vaccine 15 minute waiting area was filled with people who just had their shot. People are coming back to our church's live service instead of watching it on YouTube. Our choir is even starting to sing a couple of times a month! 

Still, I've been more than a little hesitant to get my hopes up for our 2022 World Cruise, especially since NO cruise ships are leaving from any American port. But yesterday, the CDC relaxed its stranglehold on the cruising industry and simplified its demands for reopening of U.S. ports. It seems as if there will be cruises originating here as early as July! 

And I saw today that 56% of adults have been vaccinated against Covid-19 in this country! I'm thrilled to see that number climb, but it needs to continue up. If you haven't rolled up your sleeve yet, please forgive me for hopping on my soap box for a bit. Not only will getting the vaccination protect you and your loved ones, it keeps you from being able to carry or transmit the virus which means it has less opportunities to mutate into something more virulent. The vaccines are our best hope for a return to normalcy all over the world. Okay, I'm done. 

Sorry I've been waffling around a bit. My main point today is that I'm throwing my whole heart into our 2022 World Cruise sailing come next January. I've resisted being excited about it, thinking about it or planning for it over fear of another disappointment. But I've decided to go all in. Anticipation was a huge part of the pleasure as we counted down the days for our 2018 WC. I did practice packs several months out. I had all our excursions researched and chosen before we boarded. I made lists of things to do before giving up our land life for 3 months. I counted down the days!

Now I'm giving myself permission to get excited, to dream, to hope again!

And if I'm disappointed, well, I've been disappointed before. I'll get over it.  

2 comments:

  1. So much excitement and hope accompanied that announcement. Fingers crossed those booked on 2022 voyages will have their travel dreams realized.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you and Erin. So wonderful to see hope returning! Hoping people continue to get vaccinated so we can all move past the pandemic and return to wonderful adventures!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment and let's chat!