Monday, June 7, 2021

Ain't-a That Good News!

 The bad news is nothing lasts forever. The good news is nothing lasts forever. ~ L. Cole

Everyone talks about how good it is that 2020 is behind us. And I'll admit it was a challenging year. But the old "it came to pass" adage still holds true. Time marches on and takes everything--the good, the bad, the paradigm shifting changes in our society--with it.

And so far, our 2021 has been filled with good news! Our extended families have been blessed not to lose anyone to the Covid-19 virus (my heartfelt condolences  to those who did) and our immediate family have all been fully vaccinated with either the Moderna or Pfizer shots. Life in our small Ozarks town is returning to normal. It's rare to see someone wearing a mask (especially if you limit the count to those who are wearing one correctly!) Help wanted signs are appearing all over town and the whole community is breathing a collective sigh of relief. 

#1 Daughter and her wife have moved to a town 30 minutes from us so that's cause for rejoicing. We're thrilled to be able to spend time doing ordinary things with them and being together more often. #1 Daughter was able to work from home through 2020 and now has to drive in to the office, but her commute to this new office is so much less stressful because we have so little traffic. #2 Daughter was recently able to give up one of the 3 jobs she worked during the pandemic in order to make enough to pay her bills. She's still working over 40 hours a week between her remaining two, and we're very proud of her. 

On the cruising front: As far as we know, we are still a go for our 2022 Viking World Horizon Cruise. We received a lovely email from Uncle Torstein. (That's Torstein Hagen, Chairman and founder of Viking. He's not really our uncle, but he sounds and looks so much like my DH's uncles, he could slip into a family reunion unremarked. So we've decided to think of him in that affectionate fashion!)  

Viking is still fully committed to our world cruise next January. The itinerary will no doubt change from the one we signed up for, but I'm confident it will be an excellent adventure wherever we go! 

Also, a few weeks ago, I received notice from Cunard that they will no longer accept bookings from people like me who require use of supplemental oxygen. Their excuse is that they want to make sure it's safe for me. I'm a grown woman. I've been making decisions about my personal safety for a long time. And frankly sitting around as much as I did in 2020 could be deemed as hazardous to my health as cruising. But I was mostly concerned that once Cunard made their stealthy announcement, other cruise lines (i.e. Viking) would follow suit.

After exchanging emails with their medical compliance department, I've been assured that Herkimer (my portable oxygen concentrator) and I will be welcomed aboard the Viking Star next January! 

More immediate cruising: Some of you may recall that in 2020, we'd tried to take my parents, our kids and my nephew to Alaska on the Ruby Princess. The original cruise would have been in May of last year. When it tanked, with hope in our hearts, we rebooked a September voyage, but it too was canceled.   

The third time appears to be the charm. There has been a waiver of the Jones Act (a Civil War era law that prohibits non-US carriers from transporting American citizens to and from an American port without first stopping in a foreign one) so the fact that Canada is still banning cruise ships no longer stops the industry from having a short Alaskan season this year. 

We and our 6 person posse will board the Majestic Princess in Seattle on September 26, 2021! 

So the world will be swaying beneath my feet again before I know it! So grateful for the lovely plans we have in train. 

Hoping you have some shiny things glittering on your horizon too!

5 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that you will no longer be able to cruise on Cunard, but very excited to hear that your World Cruise on Viking is still on! We have a Panama Canal cruise scheduled for 2022 on Princess and are hoping that will be able to occur.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was sorry to hear about Cunard's anti-O2 policy too, Gordon. I finally emailed their representative, who'd been tempting me with different itineraries, to let her know it was a losing proposition since I'd been cordially invited NOT to sail with Cunard. She hoped I'd be back on board once their policy changes, as she expects it will, but the whole thing has left a bad taste in my mouth. It's not fun to be singled out for something over which you have zero control.

    However to be fair, Viking has a policy against motorized scooters for its guests. There were several passengers on the Pacific Princess on our 2018 WC who used those handy mobility devices, but they'd be unable to board the Viking Star with one. So every line has its rules that govern who can sail and who can't.

    Now, being vaccinated against Covid-19 is the hurdle most cruise passengers are asked to vault. I have no problem with that requirement. It makes perfect sense to me and I'm glad Viking is requiring 100% guest and crew to be fully vaccinated. Because they do not allow children on board, there's no need for the wiggle room some of the other lines are trying to enforce since those under 12 CAN'T take the shots yet.

    I'm betting your Panama cruise will go as planned. It sounds delightful. That's one trip we've yet to make and even on the 2022 WC, we board in LA...after the Star has transited the canal. ;-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we are also hoping that Princess will enforce the "No Vaccine No Cruise" rule. Looking forward to reading about your world cruise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our Alaska Princess cruise requires 100% vaccination of guests and crew. They were burned so badly by the Diamond Princess incident, I think they're being extra cautious. Very happy about that. It's made my 30-something nephew go get his first shot!

      Delete
  4. Nice to hear Viking has not jumped on the supplemental oxygen=no cruising bandwagon.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment and let's chat!