Thursday, August 26, 2021

Thoughts on the Covid Vaccines

"I am going to tell you a thing, that will make you wish yourself here. The small-pox, so fatal, and so general amongst us, is here entirely harmless. . . ." Lady Mary Wortley Montague, writing to a friend in England from Istanbul (then Constantinople) in 1717

Bear with me. My historical romance writer roots are showing today. One of the things I loved most about writing more than 30 novels for several NY publishing houses was doing the research. I never used the story of Lady Mary in any of my books, but I was fascinated by her courage and curiosity and now, during the time of Covid, she's popped back into my mind. 

During her lifetime, small-pox ravaged the population of Europe, killing as many as one in four who contracted it and leaving most of its sufferers with disfiguring scars and mottled skin. Mary caught it and her once flawless face was pock-marked and her eyes red-rimmed. But she didn't let it dampen her spirits. She was an adventuress and a prolific writer about her travels to exotic places with her ambassador husband. 

When they were in Constantinople, she discovered that certain old women would organize parties where they opened the veins of those who were willing, and inserted some matter from small pox on the head of a needle. Then they bound up the wound, covering it with a little nutshell. From that point on, the person would be safe from smallpox. Lady Mary had witnessed an early form of inoculation.

Without her husband's knowledge, she had her three year old son vaccinated in this manner and he never contracted the deadly disease. Later, she did the same for her daughter born in England who also thrived and achieved immunity to small pox, the scourge that actually killed more people than the Black Death. 

Of course, the British medical community was skeptical of the practice, likely because it was suggested by a woman, came from a "non-Christian" land, and would deprive them of the profits to be made from useless treatment of small-pox sufferers. But in 1796, when Edward Jenner substituted the less virulent "cow-pox" for the real pox and showed the disease could be guarded against, the practice of using vaccines gained widespread acceptance. 

More than two hundreds years of vaccinations for a multitude of diseases have shown that vaccines work. 

"But wait!" I hear some of you saying. "What about the whole mRNA deal? Isn't this the first time this sort of vaccine has been used in human beings?"

Yes, but the use of messenger RNA began in 1985 in the work of another visionary woman, Dr. Katalin Kariko. So more than thirty-five years of research have gone into this step forward in immunology. And I'm intensely thankful. Because of my suppressed immune system, I can't take live virus inoculations like the ones Lady Mary brought to England. Moderna and Pfizer's shots are a Godsend for folks like me. 

To that end, I have received a booster because my health issues qualify me for a 3rd Moderna shot. I have experienced mild injection site pain and redness that has lasted for a little over a week, but no other side effects. I'll be boarding the Norwegian Encore in 29 days. Thanks to the booster, my immune system is busy packing its bags to protect me. 

If you haven't yet received the vaccine for Covid-19, let me leave you with a final thought. Small pox has been virtually wiped from the earth. There hasn't been a reported case of it since the 70's. Wouldn't it be lovely if we could say the same for Covid-19 and all its variants? 

The only way to get there is for everyone who can accept a vaccine to do so.   

7 comments:

  1. Very interesting. We too will be getting our third shots as soon as we become eligible … which is December for Mui and January for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian is eligible in late October, early November for his third Pfizer shot. I'll be glad when he can get it since the people who test these things seem to indicate that the efficacy of Pfizer has dropped quicker than Moderna. But Brian's healthy and has a strong immune system already so I feel sure he's protected.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for that background and insight. We were recently on a HAL cruise in Alaska where everyone was required to be vaccinated. We would not have gone otherwise. Looking forward to getting the booster once it is available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our last Alaska cruise was on the HAL Eurodam in 2017. What a lovely ship! It was a beautiful cruise. The Norwegian Encore seems to be designed for a younger demographic, but that's okay since we're bringing some youngsters (30s & early 40s) with us. #2 Daughter and Nephew are already talking about driving the go-carts & playing laser tag on our first sea day!

      Glad to hear you had a safe trip!

      Delete
    2. Friends of ours were on the Norwegian Encore on a parallel trip to ours (i.e. going to Alaska roundtrip from Seattle on the same dates as us).

      They are long time NCL fans, and were traveling in a Haven Suite, but when they met us in Ketchikan were expressing some frustration with the NCL and their Haven experience.

      I'm not sure I want to go on a mega ship such as the Norwegian Encore. We enjoyed our time on the smaller Nieuw Amsterdam. I hope you enjoy your time on board and look forward to reading about your experiences.

      Delete
    3. I share your concerns about being on such a large ship. After our time on the Pacific Princess, we've come to love the small ship experience. But while I'm not a good candidate for laser tag, we have some "youngsters" traveling with us this time who will probably love all the bells and whistles on the Encore. They're already planning to drive the go-carts and spend some time in the virtual reality pavilion. (The DH will probably join them. He's still a kid at heart!)

      For me, Norwegian was the only choice. After we were summarily kicked out of our booking on Princess because I use supplemental O2, that left only Norwegian who sails with 100% crew and passengers fully vaccination and will allow me to use my portable O2 concentrator. I'm grateful they haven't banned me too.

      Delete
    4. I was saddened to read about your not being able to cruise with Princess. Hopefully that policy will change soon. Some of those choices on board the Norwegian Encore do look intriguing. I hope you have a great time!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment and let's chat!