Monday, May 2, 2022

Day 111, 112 & 113 ~ A Fake Sea Day, a Sickie Land Day, & Another Sea Day

 April 30-May 2, 2022

60's, windy with a lying sun--it doesn't warm nearly as much as it promises.

Seasickness: at first you are so sick you are afraid you will die, and then you are so sick you are afraid you won't die. — Mark Twain

We had an overnight in Barcelona and could've disembarked for another adventure ashore today, but all the ship's excursions were full and we're less brave about private exploration than we used to be. Besides, the Star was scheduled to leave port a little after noon. So we declared a fake sea day, and used the morning to do some laundry, claiming our machines very early because the launderette becomes a popular place later in the morning. 

While we lingered over breakfast on the fantail, we watched the MSC Firenze do a pirouette and back into her berth v-e-r-y  s-l-o-w-l-y. With three cruise ships in port (The Royal Caribbean Wonder of the Seas, a massive vessel that holds over 10K people guests and crew was tied up just ahead of us), a Spanish naval station, a sub station and a working container port, things are a bit tight in this little stretch of water. 

Later, we were so glad we stayed aboard. For the first time on this voyage, our cruise director Katie called over the ship's speaker system for a certain passenger from a certain stateroom number to contact guest services immediately. She did it twice. 

Generally, this means the person has either not returned to the ship or somehow they weren't checked in properly by ship's security at the gangway. We haven't heard which it was, but if they weren't accidentally allowed on without having their ship's card scanned, we sailed away without them. In these cases, the person's passport is given to the Viking agent on shore and is returned to the guest when they arrive at the port. They are responsible for their own travel, lodging and food until they can meet the ship at the next port of call, which in our case will be Porto, Portugal on May 3rd. 

What a nightmare. 

Whoever they are, I wish them well. I pray nothing bad happened to them ashore. It's so easy to trip and fall and end up in hospital like one lady did at the pyramids in Egypt. And if this person was wandering by themselves, would they have received the help they needed in a city where they didn't speak the language?

Given the demographic of longer cruises, cruise companies expect to lose a few guests during the voyage, though not because they miss the sail away. We are older, sicker, and less fit than cruisers on two week jaunts. Two have died on the Star, during this voyage, both suddenly of medical problems they boarded with. Which says to me that they likely would've died at home if they hadn't been here. It's terrible for the partner who's left, but for the one who disembarks before the rest of us, at least they were doing something they loved to the end.   

Then in the night as we sailed toward Murcia, Spain, the Star began to shimmy, just a constant little jiggled because we were cruising almost directly south while the waves were running east to west. I hadn't been wearing a patch for a long time, though I was expecting to put one on before we reached the Atlantic Ocean. 

This turned out to be a mistake. Even though I rose at about 2 AM to put one on, it  was too late. I became very sea sick. And as Mr. Twain suggests, it's a situation to make one pray for death!  

Murcia breakwater

I felt too weak to go on the excursion we had planned for Murcia, so we stayed on board, hybernating in our cabin. We binge-watched Downton Abbey and called out for room service when I felt like eating again. By the time supper rolled along, I was feeling up to joining our friends in The Restaurant.

The Rock of Gibraltar rising from the mists of the sea...

The mountains of Morocco off our port side. Someday I hope to visit more of Africa... 

Then after my sick day, we had another sea day, but it wasn't the usual lay-about schedule. Since Katie, our new cruise director, came we've been having choir practice and today the passenger talent show was this afternoon. So we had a rehearsal at 1:00, the show at 2:00. The DH and I opted not to do a solo act and instead sang with the choir. We did The Rose, Somewhere from West Side Story, and a riotous What Shall We Do with a Drunken Sailor!

A good time was had by all.

Roger and David are in the foreground, our new Aussie friends!

Then at 5:30 we sang Great is Thy Faithfulness for our friends Roger and David's 21st anniversary party. They've been instrumental in organizing our weekly church services, arranging for different people to speak and help out with the readings and such. They are lovely people and we've enjoyed getting to know them. 

Then Katie did a solo show at the Star Theatre last night, showcasing her talents at singing, dancing and comedy. She's a firecracker of a performer and a delightful person. 

More soon...

7 comments:

  1. I do hope you are feeling better now. Thank you so very much for doing this. It makes my day brighter reading about all the adventures. I will miss reading the blogs. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am feeling much better. I just need to realize that however many days afloat I have under my belt, my system doesn't naturally do well with movement. Thank God for scopolamine patches! I won't try winging it again!

      I do plan to keep the blog going once I get home but probably more on a weekly basis. The theme is going to be "Anchors A-Weigh," and will chronicle my attempts to lose some weight and increase my fitness. I've realized how much more I'd have enjoyed this trip if I weighed less and could walk more. Even with the headwinds of my lung condition and the meds I take to control that, I have to believe it's an attainable goal.

      Because the DH has already been talking about "next time we do this..."

      Delete
  2. As Annxstitch said, thanks so much for posting. I look forward each day to reading about your adventures. Details about daily life on board are also most welcome as we plan/dream of doing a world cruise in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The details of daily life on board can seem repetitive unless you're the one living them! I love relaxing after breakfast on the fantail. The Explorer's Lounge with its comfy chairs and forward facing sea view is a nice change if it's too chilly to be outside. There are so many lectures available on subjects from history of the areas we're traveling through to Mr. Rice-Talbot, the artist who was commissioned to paint both HRH Prince Phillip and HM Queen Elizabeth II. I'm afraid I've left off the many Baggo tournaments that take place in the Atrium because I'm not very sporty, but it's something lots of guests enjoy. Art classes, photography seminars, Origami lessons, guest-organized church and sabbath services--there really is something for everyone.

      But best of all is traveling with the one you love. There are so many little moments to cherish.

      Delete
    2. Wonderful to hear that you are already looking forward to your next Round The World cruise! Learning so much from following your journey.

      Delete
    3. We're tentatively thinking 2026. It'll be our 50th anniversary year. Plus we'll need that much time to save up! I'm not one to go into debt, even for an adventure. I still remember the horror story of the couple who took a 2nd mortgage out on their house to pay for a world cruise. They'd never been on so much as a weekend trip and as it turned out, they hated everything about cruising!

      Delete
  3. What a sad story! I do feel for the couple but so much information is available with suggestions about trying out a cruise line before you book an extended cruise (and even more important to try out cruising itself before you book an extended trip) that it seems they just did not do their due diligence before making such a big commitment.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment and let's chat!