Friday, May 6, 2022

Day 117 ~ Stonehenge, or Are the Ancient Alienists Right?

May 6, 2022

Foggy and low 50's in Portsmouth, 60's and sunny on the Salisbury plain!

Stonehenge, where the demons dwell
Where the banshees live and they do live well
Stonehenge, where a man's a man
And the children dance to the pipes of Pan. 
— Spinal Tap

As well as being a working commercial and cruise port, Portsmouth is also home to some of Her Majesty's Royal Navy

Our day began with room service so we could gather with our fellow travelers to present ourselves and our passports to the British Customs officers who were on board to check and stamp our passports. After that, we trooped down to board our bus to Stonehenge. 

On the way, we passed many charming thatched roof homes. Our guide explained that extra insurance is required for houses with thatched roofs. The owners are required to maintain the thatch and cannot change to another style of roofing. 

The yellow gorse bushes are an invasive species.
As we passed from Hampshire to Wiltshire, we drove through the New Forest, which is England's version of a national park. It's kind of mis-named as "new." It was declared a royal enclave by William the Conqueror. Unlike US national parks, homes, villages, farms exist inside the park's boundaries and the owners have free-range grazing rights for their animals. 

We saw pigs snoozing in the shade alongside the road and lots of ponies. The round-bellied mare in this photo looks like she's about to drop a foal. 

 


This tree-covered hill is the site of ancient Sarum, a neolithic village. For more about the history of this area and all the Salisbury plain, look for Sarum, The Novel of England by Edward Rutherford. I read this Michener-esque doorstop of a historical novel  probably 15 years ago. It was fascinating and I feel the need to read it again!

Then we reached Stonehenge and separated ourselves from the rest of the group so we'd be sure to have plenty of time to walk around the site. I love a museum as well or better than the next person, but when you have a 5000 year old monument right in front of you, that trumps anything kept under glass.

The heel stone in the foreground is about 250 ft. from the center of the stone circle. It marks the place where the sun rises on the summer solstice when viewed from the center of the circle.

As we walked around Stonehenge, it created more questions than answers. Geologically, this was not the right place to build a monument like this. The nearest source of the largest sarsen stones is 15 miles away. Imagine a culture that doesn't even have the wheel or metal tools trying to quarry, dress, and move these 20 to 30 ton stones. And the blue stones placed inside the circle are from Wales, 125 miles away. 

We have no evidence that the builders of the henge had written language. But they must have had some form of mathematics since they recorded the length of daylight long enough to recognize the cyclical nature of the seasons and mark the solstices and equinoxes. 

There are a number of missing stones, probably scavenged over the centuries for building material. Notice the tenon joint at the top of the tallest stone. The builders connected stone with the same principles of joinery that carpenters use with wood. 

Who dreamed up the plan to construct Stonehenge? What was its purpose? It was likely built in stages and was the work of generations. Whatever inspired it must have been a grand idea, something to catch the imagination of a huge number of people, and keep them working at it even after the original designers were gone.  

"O! To be in England now that spring is here!" Beautiful fields of blooming rape seed, which is used to make canola oil. Both the countryside and the towns we saw are clean and refuse-free. It was a treat not to see garbage in the streets or angry spikes of graffiti and tagging on public buildings.


Sorry about the reflections...
We passed through Salisbury both ways and caught glimpses of the spire of the twelfth century Salisbury Cathedral. The story of its building is also included in the Sarum novel. 

Some people look at the incredible churches and cathedrals and the art and ornamentation that goes into them and they complain that instead of building, the church could've fed, clothed and housed so many.

I would argue that they did. If a town was chosen to be a cathedral city, it meant full employment for the area for the next 100 years. Giving people purpose and the dignity of work is better than hand outs.

I so want to actually visit this cathedral someday instead of just driving by it. I've been told it's relatively plain inside, but it's been sanctified by 100's of years of worship and prayer. Just being in that space would be a wonderful experience.

Kristy, the DH and me after our big World Cruise Photo. If I can get a copy of the picture of the crew and passengers that was taken on the bow. It was quite a trick to arrange several hundred people for a photo op. 




Kristy, our resident nightowl, snapped this photo of the Spinnaker Sail as we were leaving Portsmouth. The rest of us were all asnooze, but fortunately, she spotted this iconic symbol of the port city. 

10 comments:

  1. Britain's National Parks are a real treasure. They were created in 1949 and overlaid the existing structure of ownership in order to provide an additional layer of protection.

    I hope you have an opportunity to return to explore the areas in more depth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The DH and I have been saying we need to rent a cottage somewhere with access to the train system or maybe a car for a month or so. There are so many places in England we'd love to visit--Oxford and Cambridge for example, Bath and Cornwall. It's definitely something to consider.

      Delete
  2. I haven't commented enough, but I just wanted to say that I so much appreciate all of the work that went into this blog. I've loved it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dobie! I love sharing our good fortune and our adventure but the blog is really the ultimate souvenir for me. I'm so afraid I'll forget how it felt to be in some of these amazing places, so I have to record my thoughts for me. If others have enjoyed them, that's icing on my cake!

      Delete
  3. I am so thankful to you and your DH for sharing not only your adventures but your thoughts and impressions of what you have seen and experienced! It's one of the highlights of my day to see the notification of a new adventure in my inbox! Happy Mother's Day to you! My DH is making me Norwegian Pancakes for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're enjoying the blog, Carolyn. Thanks for coming along for the ride. I heard from both my girls so I did have a very happy Mother's Day. Yay for Norwegian pancakes! I'm afraid I'll have to set them aside once I get home and get serious about losing some weight. Still, you have to have a treat now and then...

      Delete
    2. Yes they are a wonderful buttery treat! My son in law made whipped cream with honey - decadence! Several years ago when the Norwegian cousins came to visit as a treat my DH served them Norwegian pancakes for breakfast as his Norwegian grandmother had served him. His cousin looked at him and asked "Why are we getting dessert for breakfast?" MorMor knew how to spoil her grandsons!

      Delete
  4. Thank you both so much for sharing your exciting adventures. Since I don't think I'd ever convince Hugh to go on an around the world cruise, it's been a real treat to enjoy the world through your eyes. Your blog has given me so good ideas for trips too...Venice, Florence, Croatia, Barcelona, fjords of Norway and, of course, the British Isles. Let me know if you're ever in Northwood. It would be great to connect again! Can't wait to hear about your next chapters!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure why I was entered as Anonymous in my above comment, but this is Glenda from Northwood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for your time spent on these blogs. I’ve enjoyed reading them all. Mel from Yorkshire, England.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment and let's chat!