Sunday, February 26, 2023

Running from the Storm

“Some people I know are like the Northern Lights. They have their moments that are brilliant and stunning but usually, I find that they are hidden away. And trust me when I say they should be seen much more.” ~ Anonymous

Last night the Venus bucked along on the open North Sea until she was able to slip into the inside passage. Sheltered from the waves by a system of low lying islands, we passed a comfortable night, rocked gently to sleep in the world's best water bed. Everyone on board seems to be taking our change of itinerary with good grace. I've heard no grumbling about it at all.

The chairs on our balcony are wet and slightly coated with ice. These lovely loungers on the pool deck are a wonderful substitute!

But we're all still hopeful that the heavens will part while we overnight in Narvik (which is still above the Arctic Circle) and the Aurora Borealis will rain fire from the sky. So far, we are being overshadowed by a lashing tail of clouds that are wreaking havoc farther north.

Today we're enjoying scenic cruising. With overcast skies, it's definitely a monochromatic landscape, but the area is not without interest. I'm always fascinated with how people live in different parts of the world.  In the case of the Narvik area, the remoteness of the place is palpable. 

Solitary farmhouse along the inside passage. Our lecturer tells us most of the farms around here are fish farms and judging from the color of the house, this is a prosperous one. There are basically three paint colors used on buildings in this part of the world--red for barns and humble dwellings, a bright yellow for middle class housing, and white for the affluent because ingredients to make white paint must be imported. 

We skipped the evening show because if you've seen one '60's review, you've likely seen them all. I'm hoping our cruise director, Heather Clancy, will do a solo show sometime during this cruise. At the introduction to the crew show, she sang three wonderful excerpts from Bizet's Carmen. I'd love to hear more from her.

Instead of  going to the theatre, we headed for bed early. I'm still not quite accustomed to this time zone (7 hours ahead of home). Believe it or not, I've been sleeping in as late as 9:30--unheard of for me! 

More soon...

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking us along. I hope the skies clear for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They have a little. We're still hopeful!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment and let's chat!