Monday, October 17, 2022

Manzanillo

 

October 17, 2022 
Sweltering temps and humidity...

Sincere apologies to this lovely city. We didn’t feel up to braving the long trek from the ship to the port building and then out to the street. By the time we finished breakfast, it was so very hot and sticky already, and the walk just to get to the street was completely shadeless. 



The temperatures wouldn’t be so bad. We pushed forward in 108 degree weather when we were in Egypt, but it was a dry desert heat. When the humidity is also in the high 90’s , it’s harder for me to breathe. 

Once the sun had cleared the mountains, its light washed most of the blue out of the sky.


I know this is a pathetic excuse for not getting off the ship, but there it is. And the DH’s back is giving him some trouble, so he didn’t mind doing nothing. We declared an unofficial sea day. 

Along with assiduously doing nothing, we managed to see the piano quartet play twice. It’s such a luxury to enjoy live music of this caliber up close and personal. The musicians communicate wordlessly while they play, making eye contact during pivotal moments, swaying together and apart as their instruments’ voices soar and respond to each other. What a treat! 

Our new friends, Kirsten and John, joined us for dinner, bustling with news of their long excursions. They’d had some great experiences up in a small village in the mountains of Mexico. 

I’m sure it was cooler there.

6 comments:

  1. We'll be making two stops in Manzanillo in January ... hoping for reasonable temps or we might not get off the ship either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do feel guilty when I don't leave the ship. Especially when I think about how some of these ports have suffered during the pandemic from loss of cruise ship revenue.

      I might have been able to stand that blistering sun with my yellow umbrella--it's how I managed the heat in Egypt. But all that moisture in the air makes it seem "chewy." It's hard to push humid air in and out of my lungs. Sometimes, hiding in the air conditioning is the best course of action for me.

      Delete
  2. I do feel the "tension" between feeling the need to do something in every port to make the most of the trip and the desire to sometimes just enjoy being on board a quieter ship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to enjoy the ship when it feels less busy. We never felt cramped on the Viking Star--or the even smaller Pacific Princess. The sad truth is, the larger the ship, the less square feet of public space per passenger.

      Delete
  3. I have been following you on all your adventures over the past several years and enjoy your posts. A bit worried that we haven’t heard from you in several weeks. I am NOT nagging, but concerned that you might be unwell. I would love to be wrong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless your heart. I am fine. As I type this (11/12/22), we are home and gearing up for all the family activities of the coming holidays. I've been lazy about adding to the blog and for that, I'm sorry. I will resume adding posts about our travels based on my notes, pictures and memories.

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment and let's chat!