Tuesday, October 11, 2022

The Charm of a Sea Day

 

Any day you can see the ocean is a day of vacation…”

Another lovely sea day.

This is Lovejoy, and as her name suggests, she's a delight--always happy, always welcoming. And an incredible omelet maker!

Some people hate them because they fear they’ll be bored. For us, it’s a chance to do nothing with zero guilt. We can read. Take in a class that interests us. Take a nap—something I never do at home.

But if I need to be entertained, there’s an abundance of organized activities—trivia, bridge lessons, dance classes, photography classes, afternoon tea, exercise classes…a person could wear themselves out trying to do everything.

Which is what I used to do.

I’d have an activity chosen for every hour of the day. It’s exhausting.

Maybe this attitude is proof I belong on the “old farts” line. Or maybe its that I’ve realized I control my cruising experience by cherry picking what I do or don’t do. I need time to be quiet, to reflect, and, if I’m honest, to put my feet up.

Today for example, I’ve used the morning to get these blog posts ready to be uploaded when we reach San Diego. The DH woke with the start of a migraine (possibly brought on by having to wear an N95 mask?) so after breakfast, he’s been resting in our darkened stateroom.

In a little bit, we’ll wander up to the Lido Market for buffet lunch. At 12:30, we’ll attend the champagne art auction (remember, a flute of something bubbly in our hands means we can take off our masks).  We may venture into the thermal suite after that. At 4:30, the strings and piano will be playing Mozart, and our evening dining time is 5:30. The evening show features One Step, a dance troop. And after that, if we feel like it, a comedian is performing “Mid-Laugh Crisis” at BB King’s Blues Club.

Can any day go wrong if it ends with a pavlova?

As our youngest daughter would say, “Sounds like a plan.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment and let's chat!