Friday, October 7, 2022

The Requisite Pre-Cruise Nightmare...

 43 degrees, but the sun is just barely up. I'll be 80 this afternoon.

Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as the here and now?” ― John Lennon

OK. It's official. We must be going someplace. I've had my compulsory pre-cruise nightmare.

Last night I dreamed about a part of cruising that, for me, feels nightmarish even when I'm awake. It's called "getting to the port." 

When we lived in Boston, it was so lovely to be able to call a cab and after a 15 or 20 minute ride, we were handing our bags off to the porters. I didn't fully appreciate the convenience and luxury of that time. But Boston was the only place we've lived where it worked out that way. 

We usually have an overnight in a hotel, sometimes two, before we reach the ship. This time, it's just one night in St. Louis because our non-stop to Seattle is very early on Saturday morning, which is also the day we board the Eurodam.  Usually, I like to overnight in the departure port, but we've been monitoring the Alaska Airlines non-stop and it's been on time or only a few minutes late for weeks. So once we're on board the plane, our chances of making the ship are pretty good.  

But my dream had to do with the overnight hotel before our flight where we were warned against waggling all our baggage up to our rooms. Instead, the hotelier suggested we put them in a storage locker with a padlock. But that seemed silly to me. And more than a little troubling. If someone had designs on our duds, all they'd need was a bolt cutter. And if the room wasn't safe for our luggage, who's to say we could rest easy there? 

Fortunately, that was when I work up...

October 7, 2022

Okay, a couple days of frantic packing has passed and we've driven the 4 1/2 mile trip up to St. Louis. We're settled in the Holiday Inn Express near the airport where we always stay before we fly. It's clean and convenient and we've never had a single bad experience here. And we're first on the list for the 6AM shuttle to Lambert International.

Just goes to show my brain in dream state is not to be trusted!

2 comments:

  1. My pre-travel nightmare has to do with luggage ... but it's always either the plane is taking off or the ship is leaving port and I am still packing! Have a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a wonderful trip..... With all of your luggage beside you!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment and let's chat!