Thursday, February 17, 2022

Day 39 ~ The Chef's Table

February 17, 2022

"I'm so glad you have Ava Randa." ~ Text from my mom after I shared how much we enjoy sitting on our verandah watching the cerulean water and clear skies. Voice to text technology sometimes isn't all it's cracked up to be...

Last night we went to the Chef's Table for supper. This is our third or fourth time at this specialty restaurant, and to be honest, we haven't been terribly impressed. I got choked on hot and sour soup the first time. Kristy had trouble with the granita being far too spicy hot for her the next time, and then we went on Mexican night which wasn't as memorable a meal as you might expect for a fixed menu tasting/wine pairing experience. But last night's La Route des Indes menu was much better!


The meal starts with an "amuse bouche" called Carrot and Cardamon Cream with orange and star anise foam. I was expecting something on the sweet side, but this was more savory than sweet. It was paired with a very, very dry (read: absolutely dusty) Chilean chardonnay.


Our fish course was Spicy Tuna Tataki with Szechuan peppercorns, coriander and sesame oil with pickled vegetables. This course was paired with a very nice light rose wine. The chef recommends only light searing of the tuna which means the interior of the fish is served raw. Since I'm immuno-suppressed because of some of the meds I take for my lung condition, I don't eat uncooked or undercooked fish, pork, or chicken. Beef, however, I always have rare. The difference is...well, I'm not sure there is a good reason except that I like my beef rare well enough to chance it.


A granita is a "palate cleanser" so none of the fishiness of the fish course finds its way to the meat course. Some of these ices have been wickedly spicy. This one featured ginger, tarragon and infused vodka topped with lemon foam. I liked it. (Maybe the vodka had something to do with it!)


These beef tenderloins with warm spices could be cut with a butter knife. The purple smear you see is pureed purple potatoes. Mushrooms and jus round out the artful presentation. It was all so delicious, I narrowly resisted the urge to lick the plate! 


The dessert was an Apple Delice Facon Tarte Tatin with butterscotch calvados sauce. Oh, my! Between the tart apple and sweet creamy butterscotch, the taste was practically orgasmic. In the background, you can see the line-up of the paired wines. I've never been much of a drinker, but I did enjoy trying a few sips of each offering. 

Today is my birthday, so tonight we have reservations at Manfredi's, my favorite specialty restaurant on the Star. So many well-wishes have come my way, both here on the ship and via the internet. I even received a "Happy Birthday" from my church choir! Our internet on the Star is being very spotty right now so I can't download this hilarious vid, but here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcEQ0gBwDMU ! Smiles guaranteed! Thanks so much for all the love!

More soon...

PS. It's early on the 18th now and the internet is slightly less sluggish than a three-toed sloth. So here's the very special Happy Birthday from a group of wonderfully silly people whom I dearly love!

10 comments:

  1. I hope you had an amazing Birthday! Thank you for sharing your lovely journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm riding the high seas with the man I love. How could I help but have a wonderful birthday? Thanks for the well wishes!

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday.I love reading about your journey.Thank you so much.


    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a wonderful birthday! I love celebrating while traveling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! What a wonderful way to celebrate!!

    I have to laugh when I think of some of the messages I have sent using voice recognition that I did not adequately review and which went out not quite as I had intended! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! I've been enjoying your blog and just needed to catch up about 6 days... A lot to take in -- from rounding the Horn to Montevideo to quiet sea days. I would choose Manfredi's for a birthday too, for sure! I hope you enjoyed a Florentine steak. I love the huge wheels of parmesan -- the way they dig at them. Such a wonderful memory and one we hope to replicate some day! Two river cruises first -- the Grand European and then the Waterways of the Tsars (if our relationship with Russia survives the next few weeks...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had Mexican night at The Chef's Table. It was rushed to the point of frenetic. All four of us were very disappointed in the meal. Way too spicy and extremely small portions. Dessert was the only good part. We never went back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We had Mexican night at The Chef's Table. It was rushed to the point of frenetic. All four of us were very disappointed in the meal. Way too spicy and extremely small portions. Dessert was the only good part. We never went back.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment and let's chat!