Saturday, April 7, 2018

Day 75 ~ The Joy of Doing Nothing


April 7, 2018—a sea day and my sister Linda’s birthday!

After a couple port days in a row, it was lovely to wake to a day at sea with nothing we had to do.  We had a leisurely breakfast and then skipped the Rome port lecture because we have a 10 hour excursion booked for that day already.

At trivia, we must have left our brains back in the cabin because we were once again humbled by the questions. (Anyone know which fruit the French word “ananas” refers to? No Googling!) 

The Harmony Choir rehearsed for our farewell concert which is scheduled for just before we reach Ft. Lauderdale. We’re starting to think homeward thoughts now. Instead of washing all our dirty laundry this time, we packed most of it away in one of the suitcases under the bed and only took a single load of essentials to the launderette. There are 3 more weeks till we’re back in the USA, but we have lots of ports to go before then.

To that end, we’re gearing up for Pompeii tomorrow and Rome the day after that. The DH had to go to the medical center and get a knee brace. I feel so guilty because I don’t think he’d be having any problem if he didn’t have to carry Herkimer (my portable O2 concentrator) in a backpack when we leave the ship. I wish there was another solution, but I can’t see any. It’s too heavy for me to carry, and the ground is usually too uneven for Herkimer to ride in his roller bag.

Our table mate Shirley has finally exhausted herself. She and David have been walking like troopers at all the stops, but she got herself overheated in Malta, removed her sweater and then got chilled. Shirley had hardly any voice last night and could barely speak.

“There is a God!” her hubby proclaimed.

Seriously, we have so enjoyed spending time with these two. It’s funny that we had to book a world cruise to meet another couple from Missouri, but it’s been great.

Now in the words of the 19th century diarist, Samuel Pepys, “And so to bed.” (Yes, I did learn that’s how he ended all his journal entries at trivia!)

6 comments:

  1. Ooh! I know ananas, because it's also the Dutch word for this fruit! Although it sounds a lot less elegant when we say it, of course ;). I read some Pepys as an undergrad - I found it really miraculous how real he makes the 17th (not 19th) century feel, just because he includes lots of mundane details in his diaries, which makes him and the people around him sound like people you could know today.

    I hope the DH and Shirley feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right! 17th century, of course. That's what I get for not Googling it

      Delete
  2. Pineapple? At least that's what ananas means in Turkish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right! Wish you'd been on my trivia team!

      Delete
    2. no you don’t … I’m terrible at trivia 🤪

      Delete
    3. So am I when the topic is popular culture.

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment and let's chat!