Thursday, April 26, 2018

Day 93 ~ Last Times


I’m really not a drunkard. I just walk like one.
 ~ Me to everyone I meet in the halls as I do my appointed 8K steps because the projected 1.5 meter swells have grown into 3 meters.

We’ve reached the portion of our world cruise where almost everything is a “last time.” Bermuda was our last port of call. Last night was the final show by our uber-talented resident production company of singers and dancers. (After a couple months of vacation, this troop is bound for the Australian-based Sea Princess. Lucky Aussies! You are in for such a treat!)


We ate lunch out on the fantail even though it was raining because we only have a few more chances to enjoy the mesmerizing view of the Pacific Princess’s wake.


The Harmony Choir gave its last concert this afternoon. There were lots of weepy eyes when the last note sounded. Singing together on every sea day has made us all friends.

Tonight is our last formal night. One last chance for the DH to do his James Bond imitation in his tux. I dearly love stepping out with my “silver fox.”

We’re running out of time to hand out tips to members of the crew who have made this trip such a pleasure. Of course, our regular gratuities were pre-paid, but these are a little extra something for crew members who’ve gone the extra mile for us. We’ve caught up with most of them, but about three continue to elude us. We’ll be on the look-out for them tomorrow, when it really will be our LAST sea day.


It’s time to roll up the world map. Thanks again to our dear friend Marcy for giving it to us! We’ve scratched off lots of new countries, but there’s still a lot of “dusty brown” (indicating an unvisited country) on the chart. But oh! The places we’ve seen, the things we’ve experienced, the emotions, the colors, the people, the music, the sights, the sensations--we’ve been shaken and thrilled and stirred.

I’ll never get over it.

And, please God, I don’t want to.

7 comments:

  1. I plan to get one of those scratch off maps after we settle down somewhere ... we don’t have many available walls here in the rig.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one is so nice and because the cabin walls are metal, we were able to put it up with magnets.

    But I hear what you're saying about RV wall space. The only available room for the map in our camper is in the back of the closet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has been a joy to read your posts. My DH and I did half the 2017 WC (54 days) for the first time on the wonderful Pacific Princess and enjoyed every month, week, day, hour and second! We did Sydney to Venice, including the highlight for me on the 3-day Princess excursion to the Taj Mahal. Reading your posts was like reliving it again and we could so relate to much of what you shared. I too sang in the choir, it had been highly recommended and did not disappoint. So glad to see your comment about David and the 2019 WC. Because we loved our 1/2 WC and Princess changed itinerary for 2019, we signed up as soon as we fot the email in June 2017 for the full 96 days - LA to FLL! And we are just as excited to do it again. I nevermthought I would get to Capetown So,Africa! Our friends think we are crazy, but I have a collection of travel quotes like you, and so many of yours touched a chord. Especially ...if you don't travel, it is like reading one page of a book....
    Thank you for your blog, I can't believe it is over too!! I will check back to see your follow up additions. Safe travels home and blessings on you and DH.
    Debbie. Duluth, GA. (suburb of Atlanta)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on your upcoming 2019 adventure! The itinerary looks wonderful.

      After I catch up on laundry, I plan to go back and reread our trip too. I want to add as much as I can remember while it's still semi-fresh in my mind and heart.

      Jan 2019 will come sooner than you think. Bon voyage!

      Delete
  4. It's been a joy to follow you and experience all those places through your eyes. We were on many Cunard worldies and loved every minute including places we had been before. I hope you can do another one before long. It seems like 2 days ago that I wrote in this comment section about your time in Honolulu and here you are at the end.. ~ Aloha and safe journey home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've enjoyed every post of your trip. Happy you had such a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have created the most wonderful summary of the RTW cruise. You obviously are a very talented writer and story teller. My wife and I were on the cruise from LA-LA and you clearly expressed the feelings we have about the wonderful experience of the world cruise. The great ports, the beautiful cultures, the friendly passengers and crew, the food, and so much more. It was great to see the photo of Karolyn and Gary at the beginning of the cruise. We are anticipating their visit next week here in N. California.
    We will be on the 2020 world cruise and look forward to seeing many of our princess friends.
    Thanks again for your wonderful blog
    Ron Ernst

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment and let's chat!