Thursday, April 26, 2018

Day 94 ~ The End is Near…


Once you have traveled, the voyage never ends, but is played out over and over again in the quietest chambers. The mind can never break off from the journey. 

~ Pat Conroy


We cruised through the Sargasso Sea yesterday and now we’re threading our way through the Bahamas to reach Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale tomorrow. We have to put our luggage out in the hallway this evening before we turn the lights out. And in the morning, we have to vacate Cabin 7009 by 7:50 AM. We’ve purchased transfers to the airport from Princess so no worries on that score. We’ll be there in plenty of time for our 2:30 PM flight.


Packing to go home is not nearly as taxing as packing to go on the cruise. There are no decisions to be made. Everything has to go.  Of course, we’ve accumulated some new stuff, but we’ve also used up things as well. It’s all  rather like a 3-D jigsaw puzzle, trying to get everything squared away in our 4 large suitcases, two carry-on roller bags, Backpack Herkimer, Roller bag Herkimer, and C-pap bag. If we do another extended voyage, I keep saying I will pack less—one large bag apiece.

No, I mean it! Really. I could have done with less (though I confess, I did wear everything at least once. I even used the duct tape I swore was just taking up space.) Oh! And I have to share my big win today. There was a pair of capris I’d been avoiding in the closet because they zipped and buttoned instead of having a drawstring waist. I skinnied into them with no trouble at all! (Must be all those extra steps I’ve been taking.)

Anyway, we took time out of our busy packing schedule to go to a cooking show featuring our executive chef and always entertaining maitre d’, Oscar. It was a subtle reminder that soon we’ll all have to start cooking for ourselves again.


We played trivia with our team one last time, and went to a final choir get-together. David Crathorne announced that he’s been asked to be on the 2019 World Cruise, so the choir members who are already booked to go again next year are thrilled. Choir is a big draw for lots of travelers. It’s been fun and so good for my lungs to do some controlled breathing on every sea day.

Sometimes, it feels as if this voyage has gone by in the blink. Other times, it’s like we’ve been cruising forever. I still almost can’t believe we did it. Living in the middle of a large land mass, it’s easy to lose sight of the fact that so much of this wonderful world is covered with water.

Even so, we’re ready to head home. Our life there is even more precious to us now than it was when we left. We’re more grateful for everything—our family, our friends, our little dogs. And we’ll be happy to share our pictures and our memories of this trip with anyone who’s interested.

But in so many ways, it’s been just for us. The DH and I have had the most incredible adventure. Every day, each port of call, was filled with moments that will stay with us for the rest of our lives. Things that have delighted, challenged, amused, or filled us with dismay, they blend into a kaleidoscope of experiences we may never fully understand, but we’ll be pondering them for years.       

(Tomorrow will be a full day of travel for us. We’ll fly to St. Louis where our dear #1 Daughter will pick us up. We’ll spend the night with her family in Columbia and then drive home on Saturday. Once I climb out from under the mountain of laundry, I’ll be adding more pictures and memories to these posts. Thank you to all who’ve joined me on this trip through my little blog. I love reading your comments!)

18 comments:

  1. Oh no..not the end! Have enjoyed going on this world cruise with you and DH and reliving our wonderful journey we took in 2015. Yes..it has been life changing and an event to never forget or regret. Congrats on being able to fit in your slacks..all your walking paid off! I will miss receiving your blogs sent most every day! But, will look forward to further pics/info after you finish your pile of laundry..lol. Have a safe and wonderful journey home and enjoy sleeping in your own bed. And..yes..I would do another world cruise in a heartbeat. When a "friend" found out we were going on an 111 day world cruise..she said "oh no, you'd have to shoot me"! Ha! Her big loss!
    Ciao for now...as they say in beautiful (gelato) Italy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, gelato.... but I digress. Your friend is right, for her. Some people would hate a trip of this length. But for those of us who are willing to lose sight of land for a while, it's an unforgettable journey. Maybe you and I will meet on a new grand adventure someday!

      Delete
  2. I have loved reading this, thank you for taking the time to write it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people collect key chains or refrigerator magnets. I collect blog posts. This is my souvenir. So glad you enjoyed it too.

      Delete
  3. We did a WC in 2017, so we have been reliving some of our experiences through your journey. Your reports are eagerly awaited each morning. Thanks for taking the time and effort to share your moments with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, David. Were you on the Pacific Princess in 2017 too? Isn't she a lovely little lady?

      Delete
  4. Thank you, so much, for taking us on your remarkable journey. Looking forward to your future posts and shared travels. Have a safe trip home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Larry. The road does go ever, ever on... We'll travel again. But right now, home is looking pretty good!

      Delete
  5. Can't wait for you to get home! It will be such fun looking at pics and hearing the tales of your adventures. See you soon. Our choir is waiting for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See you in church! Can't wait to sing in our own choir again.

      Delete
  6. I am going to miss you so much. It was great to travel with you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming long for the ride, Theresa!

      Delete
  7. It was great to "travel" with you! Thanks for all your posts! Have a safe trip home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heavenly cannot begin to describe the feel of our own bed after so many nights away from it! Thanks for armchair traveling with us (and you got to sleep in your own bed the whole time!)

      Delete
  8. Loved reading your blogs, safe travels home and good luck for the future.

    Les, (NSWP on CC)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Les. Hope to see you on the Cruise Critic message boards sometime!

      Delete
  9. Hi there. I miss your stories already. I have been following from Canberra, Australia and enjoyed every moment of your cruise. I hope you win that prize so you get to do another!

    Thanks for sharing.

    Suzanne (suzbluz on CC)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I kinda doubt the Prize Patrol will be rolling up to my door any time soon, but we're talking and dreaming about doing this again someday. And that's how any great adventure starts--with a dream! Thanks for taking this trip with me, and for sharing your wonderful country with us. Every Aussie we've met has been a fantastic person. We could live in OZ!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment and let's chat!