Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Day 3~ The Voyage Begins

"I’m not afraid of storms, for I’m learning how to sail my ship.” ― Louisa May Alcott

When I was a kid camping the American west with my family, I learned quickly that I liked myself on the move. A new place, an astonishing vista, people who thought differently from me were opportunities to learn and I soaked it all up like a thirsty sponge. And along the way, I learned more about who I am, too. 

All journeys, especially ones as long as this one, are peppered with opportunities for introspection, for self-evaluation, for growing relationships and finding ever deepening meaning in life. That's why, even though we are in the midst of a Covid-19 storm, I'm not afraid to leave land behind. Like Muir who heard the mountains beckoning to him, the sea "is calling me and I must go."

Today is when our cruise actually begins. Being tied up in LA has been lovely and restful, but it's a little like being on an all-inclusive floating resort. The real adventure starts when we cast off at 6PM today and point our collective masked noses southward...

Okay, the philosophical portion of this post is over. Now on to my small doings...


We managed to sleep until almost 5 AM this morning, which, believe it or not, is progress. My dad used to say I had two speeds--slow and stop. Turns out he was right. It takes me a while to get going in the mornings. There's a lot to do before we step out. 

First, we need to do our "spit test," i.e. providing 2 ml of saliva in a tube to be tested each day. I've started hanging our masks on a hook near the door to make sure we are properly covered. And forget a smile! You're never fully dressed without a contact tracer. (That's not a pendant necklace dangling around my neck!)

We didn't order room service this morning and we were more than ready for coffee when we went in search of and found Mamsen's at 6:30.

This little space is tucked into a corner of the Explorer's lounge and is described as a Norwegian deli. The menu is based on Torstein Hagen's mother's recipes for goodies, pastry and soup and sandwich style meals. 

The coffee is rich and dark and served with cream so thick, small clots dropped into my cup and dissolved into little bubbles of richness. Oh, my! As a caffeine delivery system, this tops the charts!

We expected to meet Kristy and Dave later for breakfast, but there were too many interesting-looking things in the Norwegian deli not to try a little something. We reckoned we could be good little hobbits and indulge in "second breakfast" later with our friends! This is my husband's ethnic heritage, so I told him to surprise me with whatever he thought would be good.

He brought me back a plate with Kringles and Pumpernickel slices. A kringle is a sweet bread with almond paste and a little dollop of yellow custard. The dark, crusty pumpernickel reminded me of the unusual breads my dad used to bring home from "the other end of the road." (He was a railroader for 40+ years and the "other end" represented the farthest away from all that was familiar that I could imagine as a child.) He'd bring pumpernickel, and lefsa when it was in season, and once a black Russian loaf that was shiny and dark as a chunk of a tire, but tasted wonderful.       


Yes, it was as good as is looks.

You know, for months I've been expecting to receive an email from Torstein Hagen, explaining that Viking had tried as hard as it could, but there was just no way to move forward with this voyage in the present circumstance. The email never came and we're off in just a few hours.

I shouldn't have been surprised. I should have remembered something I've learned from 45 years my DH. It's called "Norwegian stubbornness." When he decides to do something, no matter what the odds, whatever the obstacles in his way, he's always found a way to do it. Guess that's a trait he shares with Uncle Torstein. 

Guess it's time for me to put on my scopolamine patch!                                

10 comments:

  1. It's fascinating to explore your roots. When we took our cruise to Norway in 2019, we sailed right up Sognefjord, the place where the DH's family came from. It was a very moving experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing you fabulous adventures! Normally I try to be a quiet lurker but being married to a Norwegian myself (42 years) I just had to come out of the shadows and join the Norwegian celebration! One of wonderful gifts of marrying my husband (beside himself of course) has been his Norwegian family here in the US and in Stavanger, Norway. I can attest to the reality of Norwegian stubbornness. My mother in law once replanted a flower bed while on crutches with a broken leg because it had to be done! Her parents are one of my favorite love stories of all time! I wish you and your Norwegian awesome and safe adventures on this wonderful cruise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please don't feel you have to lurk! I love hearing from you. I agree about marrying in to a large Norwegian family. It's an incredible gift to be loved and accepted by my DH's family. Had to laugh about your mother-in-law. Yes, that's a great example of Norwegian stubbornness!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you’ve had two good days on the ship already. Here’s to many more to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Other than having to wear a mask all the time, it's really a beautiful experience. The Star is a lovely ship.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful that you are finally on board. I suspect sail-away will be especially sweet on this trip! Thank you for sharing your journey so far and looking forward to your future adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had originally claimed an out of the way spot up on the 9th deck to watch the sail away, but when 6:00pm came and went, we had to abandon our post for our dinner reservation. Fortunately we were seated at a window and could watch the harbor as we glided past. It was an almost too-good-to-be-true moment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoying your blog. I too got my travel bug from summer vacations with my family. We didn't camp but my parents took a modest cottage on a lake in a different place each year.

    Not Norwegian but love Mamsens. I always enjoyed a sampling of herring with the dark bread and curls of brown cheese. Oh and a cup of mixed berries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. Tomko! Even the quirky throwback tableware makes you feel like you're eating at grandma's house when you visit Mamsen's! That brown cheese on the waffles was an unexpected pleasure.

      Delete
    2. Love your Blog. Excellent source of information for our members at Viking World Cruise Explorers https://www.facebook.com/groups/vikingwolrdcruiseexplorers We are sharing your excellent review of the Viking World Cruise there. Please keep up the good work!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment and let's chat!