Sunday, January 16, 2022

Day 6 ~ Play Day

 We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
~ George Bernard Shaw

The DH managed to capture Venus, the Morning Star just before dawn.


Today was the perfect mix of relaxation, recreation, and rest. We started with a trip to the thermal suite hoping to spend a little time communing with our beloved stone loungers. Alas! They had not been turned on. Heated, they are heavenly. Stone cold, meh.

So instead we relaxed in the warm thalassotherapy pool, letting the jets and bubbles sooth our muscles. But it is easy to get over-heated. The DH decided to honor his Viking heritage by dumping the cold water bucket over his head. Judging from his expression, I'd say this Norwegian custom, like eating lutefisk, is more fun to say you have done than to actually do. 

We attended another painting class in the afternoon. I know so little about painting technique, but our teacher was pretty good about breaking the project down into manageable bits. The lovely thing about this sort of play is that it doesn't really matter how well the final product turns out. Just trying something new, experimenting with different combinations of pigment, fiddling with the brush tip till I could make it do approximately what I wanted--the whole experience requires both intense concentration and wild abandon. I loved every minute and can't wait for the next class.



For some reason, our instructor doesn't like seeing brushstrokes. I told the DH that I can tell his painting was done by a man. The brush strokes are bold, kind of like Van Gogh or Munch. Bet no one told them not to let the brushstrokes show. 

For supper, we went to Manfredi's, the specialty Italian restaurant on the Star. I'm afraid the food and the company were both so good, I didn't manage to take pictures. 

The ocean remains placid, the sky clear, and the temperature in the 70's. Tomorrow we reach Cabo San Lucas, the first of many "new-to-us" ports! 

More soon!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for your blog - great photos and an engaging writing style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeri. Hope you're up for making the whole trip with me! I plan to blog everywhere we go.

      Delete
  2. Just love following your journey. The details of what you do each day are most appreciated. At some point, could you share some pictures of the public areas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be happy to, Gordon. Once we leave Panama, we'll have a long string of sea days before we reach Santiago, Chile. A ship's tour would be something I'd be proud to share.

      Delete
    2. Thanks.... I also hope you continue to have wonderful weather! :)

      Delete
  3. I am enjoying your posts very much. Love your painting (also the one from earlier). Cruising vicariously seems to be the only way I can do it right now! But that is better than not cruising at all.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment and let's chat!