Sunday, January 9, 2022

Getting There

“The cure for anything is saltwater – sweat, tears, or the sea.” – Isak Dinesen

The worst part of any cruise is getting to the port. Since we live so far from a major airport, it's a bit of a slog to make our way to the pier. (Clearly we didn't appreciate living in Boston or Seattle as well as we should have.) But the threat of icing rain the day began with didn't materialize and the roads were dry for our 4 1/2 hour car trip. 

I packed ham & cheese sandwiches and snacks for us to have along the way. Now that we have negative Covid documents, we want to preserve our status, so we didn't stop more than we had to on the trip. 

We dropped our luggage at the Holiday Inn Express and then went in search of a Walmart. I realized that I'd forgotten to pack a supply of triple A batteries, which I need for my oximeter.  It's important when I'm active that I make sure my O2 sats don't drop below 92. If it does, I only have to stop for a few breaths to get myself back in the high 90's. but it's important that I not neglect it. Then we took the rental car back to Hertz.

But there was a problem. We could get a shuttle to the airport, but our hotel's shuttle wasn't running today. It was only a couple of blocks from the Hertz lot, but it had begun to rain. Herkimer (my POC) doesn't do well in rain and could possibly short out if he gets too wet. Fortunately, one of the Hertz employees offered to check us out and then drove us to the hotel. Bless his heart! 

It's so lovely to encounter such generous souls when we travel. 

Our alarm is set for 2:45AM so we'll be ready to catch the 4:00AM shuttle to Lambert International for our 6:30AM flight. This is the first time we've flown since we received our TSA Known Traveler Numbers. It's supposed to allow us expedited screening. We can leave our shoes on, and our electronics and liquids still stowed in our carry-on's. Sounds great, doesn't it?  

I'll let you know how it goes...

8 comments:

  1. Partial info posted on CC by one of your fellow-pax who joined the zoom mtg with Viking re: itinerary change: "We are now going East instead of West. No South Pacific, heading south back through Mexico and Central America to South America. Been there, done that. The webinar is still happening but Torstein did say we can rebook." Hope the revision is not a disappointment for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We managed to make it to LA before the webinar started so we were able to hear the whole thing on the DH's cellphone. I'll be blogging about how I feel about the changes soon.

      Delete
  2. By the way ... TSA pre-check is great. We get it with our Global Entry membership. Just make sure you find the right lane for TSA pre-check.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were able to move through the line much quicker, but my POC's always send up alarm flares and I get pulled aside so they can test the device that helps me breathe for bomb-making residue!

      Delete
  3. Looking forward to following your travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ronald. You never know where I'll end up!

      Delete
  4. Bon Voyage! Will be following your travels from Lewisburg, PA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Freedom. I promise to keep sharing!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment and let's chat!